Your thoughts my kitten breed

luvlyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten -Lady at Last chance thought him to be maine coon mix. I slightly see it but doubt he is as I don't see some of their traits in him. I'm happy regardless that I was able to get him out of Last chance and have him be apart of my family. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh he is handsome :heart3:

His color and pattern is a brown mackerel tabby and white ;) I love the symmetrical white markings on his face :D

His breed would be classed as a domestic longhair

The vast majority of cats are domestic's and very few of them are mixes of pedigrees. Most of them don't have any pedigree ancestors at all, in fact very, very few have any pedigree breeds anywhere behind them.

You see the domestic (non pedigree ) cat population did not result from pedigree breeds being mixed together, like in the dog world. Actually it is quite the opposite. Domestic cats were here long before pedigree cat breeds existed - pedigree breeds of cat were created from the domestic cat population for a certain look or trait, not the other way around ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvlyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your detailed answer. I figure he's a domestic long haired even though his records given to me from the rescue place said short haired.
I was worried when they mentioned maine coon as I would prefer not to have one of the biggest breeds even though he is still going to be big by looking at his paws. I'm happy with my fellow and did not know that pedigree cats were created from domestic. Learn something new everyday. Thanks