Young Again Carnivoreraw W/o Calcium - Anyone Tried This?

moosedawg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the title says, has anyone tried this supplement in their raw food? Not that I don't already have the vitamins etc. (I follow Dr. Pierson's recipe from catinfo.org) but there's time where I don't want to deal with mixing up the vitamins. I find the grinding of the chicken thighs (bones and skin) liver, and cooked egg whites the easy part. It's the squeezing of all the blasted fish oil capsules and grinding up the Vitamin B and pulling apart the Vitamin E that's the problem - I have CMC arthritis, so my thumb is BAKED after I make a batch of cat food. I would think you could grind the thighs/liver/and eggs as usual and then add this mix. (Although, I think the serving suggestions call for just meat and bone so I may not even need the liver and eggs.)

I've done the soaking of the fish oil in water, and yes, that does soften them up; however, more often than not, I end up spraying myself in the face with fish oil - yum! :yummy: (I know, it's hilarious even when I think about it, but not so much in the moment as I rinse fish oil off my face and out of my hair, lol) :flail:I've tried just throwing them in the grinder with the meat/bones/and organs, which works, but there's always little gelatin cases left over in the food, and if you forget to cover the output of the grinder, fish oil can and will squirt the full length of the kitchen (it's amazing how far that stuff will go!).

Just wondering if anyone has tried this mix and if it has all the right vitamins and minerals in it if I were to occasionally make a batch without the vitamin mix when I'm pressed for time or just generally feeling lazy. ;)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick thing I noticed: The usage instructions for that product says to add fish oil so you wouldn't escape the bother of dealing with fish oil capsules by using it.

I hate the fish oil capsules also. I soften them in water and then hold them under water, puncture side down, while squeezing out the oil to prevent getting squirted in the face. And afterwards I rinse my hands with a bit of white vinegar to get rid of the fishy odor. Yeah, it's a bother. :dizzy:

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those who wonder why the fish oil isn't just added to the kibble & sold that way . . . it would go rancid, even if added after all the cooking & cooling of the rest of the food was already done. And, the healthy Omega 3s in it would more than likely die, as well.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who wonder why the fish oil isn't just added to the kibble & sold that way . . . it would go rancid, even if added after all the cooking & cooling of the rest of the food was already done. And, the healthy Omega 3s in it would more than likely die, as well.
I think the thread starter was talking about adding fish oil to their homemade raw food... actually I just realized this thread is from 2017. Too bad it never got any responses.

That's still a fun fact though, thanks. :)