WWYD? Your cat goes missing

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading a book and the main character saves a cat from a tree and takes it home with her only to find out after falling in love with it that it belongs to someone else.

What would you do if your cat disappeared for months and you find out that a family with small children has your cat whom the children apparently love? Whether that means if your cat is microchipped and the family never had it checked or did but never contacted you can be considered.

For me, I always hated in TV shows or movies where the original owner is made to look like the bad guy because they want their pet back. Whether there were children involved or not, I'd want my cat back. Remy and Maisie both do not like kids, so it's a given that I'd rescue them from child torture. Flora is more outgoing but hasn't been around kids so I don't know how she'd react. Despite that, if she did get along well with kids I'd always want her back. I'm unsympathetic when it comes to the whole, "do it for the kids" mentality. Life's hard. Get a helmet and give me my cat back is how I see it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
In my case, if somehow my cats escaped, they're microchipped and anyone should check that, so I'd definitely want them back no matter what. It would have saved them from being away 'for months'. Keeping them is akin to stealing someone else's cats.
I can't say in any other case, as they would always be microchipped. If they aren't there's no proof of ownership and so, IMO, the cat probably stays in the new loving home. :)