Would you still be worried about rabies?

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have health anxiety but had gotten over this fear and it recently popped back up. On mothers day of 2020 my sister had a box of kittens dropped off on her porch. She lived in a trailer court at the time and is a vet nurse and a neighbor must have known that and left the kittens. They weren't doing well, two seemed pretty alert but one was clearly dying. They looked to be about 6-8 weeks old but hard to tell because they were malnourished. The one that wasn't doing well would just lay on its side, could barely stand and would wobble. It's back paw looked like it had a wound and was swollen. We tried to save it by giving it fluids through a syringe but it would barely swallow it and would just sleep. My sister was going to take it to work in the morning but it didn't survive the night. It would wake up every once in awhile to cry but that's pretty much all it did.

I am now worried that it could have had rabies and since I was wiping its mouth with a paper towel. I pick my lips as a nervous habit and vape. I touched the mouth piece of my vape while I was wiping its mouth and am worried I put its saliva in my mouth, and then had wounds from me picking which would cause it to enter my blood stream. It wasn't acting aggressive at all, didn't see any salivating, but it's wound on its paw worries me. These guys also didn't seem feral just cautious of us. The siblings made a full recovery, but I am still anxious almost 4 years later. Especially because I saw a confirmed case of incubation of 7-8 years, wasn't looking it up but the internet made me aware. Now my fear is back. I live in Pennsylvania, western side. I posted pictures of the kitten.

Attachments

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t be terribly worried, but you could always call your doctor and get their opinion for your own peace of mind.
Rabies in humans is pretty rare, especially if you weren’t bitten or scratched by the animal.
Call your doctor for a professional opinion and reassurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn’t be terribly worried, but you could always call your doctor and get their opinion for your own peace of mind.
Rabies in humans is pretty rare, especially if you weren’t bitten or scratched by the animal.
Call your doctor for a professional opinion and reassurance.
I did send her a message and she just responded. She stated since I wasn't bitten or scratched that they would have needed to test the animal, and since its been 4 years I'm in the clear. While that helps the long incubation case that I accidentally read about freaks me out. Ugh, wish the internet wouldn't randomly show me things I'm afraid of. Thanks for the reply.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As an asside, please don't vape around cats especialy kittens. It is your own choice what you do and not my buissness but second hand smoke is very bad for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernw1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an asside, please don't vape around cats especialy kittens. It is your own choice what you do and not my buissness but second hand smoke is very bad for cats.
I didn't even think of that at the time, I do know I wasn't blowing it around the kitten, but was anxious. You are right though, I shouldn't have done it anywhere near them. At the time I was trying to calm my anxiety and wasn't thinking.