Would this be OK?

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok raw feeders I need your opinion. I want to try feeding my cats a little bit of raw since they really love it when I cut up raw chicken breast for a treat for them.

I work right down the road from a grocery store that has a full service meat department. My plan was to get a pound of chicken thighs with the bone in and have them grind it up for me. Does this sound like a good plan or should I try something else?

I have high hopes since they literally climb up my legs when I'm cutting up chicken breast, I'm just hoping they will take the same to chicken thighs.

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people do ground raw, but I prefer to give the thigh/wing to my cats whole. The entire process of gnawing on the bone itself not only becomes a source of calcium, but it also good for strengthening jaws and keeping teeth clean naturally. =)

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they would eat unground it is much better for their teeth.

Also, mine no longer like chicken thighs. That seems to happen to lots of cats after being on raw for a while. They realize not all meat has that "slimier" texture.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're offering the ground thighs as a treat (say, 10% or less of your cats' diet) and/or as a way to transition to frankenprey raw, I wouldn't include bones at this point.

If your cats are already willing to eat chunks of raw chicken, you're ahead of the game and I wouldn't recommend grinding at all (ripping, chewing and slicing through meat, skin and tendons is very, very good for dental health); go ahead and give your kitties chunked-up cuts of the chicken thighs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could try leaving it whole, but do I leave the bone in? I would be so afraid of someone choking on a piece of bone.

I do think they would like chewing it whole over ground up and since this is more of a treat at this point, cutting it into chunks wouldn't be so bad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about trying this too. Can you just get the meat from a grocery store? Or is it something special or specific I would need to look for.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

I could try leaving it whole, but do I leave the bone in? I would be so afraid of someone choking on a piece of bone.

I do think they would like chewing it whole over ground up and since this is more of a treat at this point, cutting it into chunks wouldn't be so bad.
I believe the bones are only a problem when they have been cooked. Raw they still contain moisture and are less likely to splinter.
Mine once grabbed a package of raw cut up chicken off the counter when I had a kid emergency in another room, and no one choked except me when I saw our supper all over the kitchen floor surrounded by growling cats, lol.
When preparing meat for the humans I often cut twelve small pieces off and let the cats have a raw treat, the only thing I don't feel safe giving them raw is ground beef, due to the possibility of contaminants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. Tomorrow I plan on getting some chicken thighs and maybe some hearts to see if they like it.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I was thinking about trying this too. Can you just get the meat from a grocery store? Or is it something special or specific I would need to look for.
I just get meat from the grocery store. My rule is that it has to be $2 or less a lb

Of course if you are feeding raw as 10% or more of a cats diet you have to balance it. That isn't hard to do at all IMO once you get the numbers right.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

I believe the bones are only a problem when they have been cooked. Raw they still contain moisture and are less likely to splinter.
Mine once grabbed a package of raw cut up chicken off the counter when I had a kid emergency in another room, and no one choked except me when I saw our supper all over the kitchen floor surrounded by growling cats, lol.
When preparing meat for the humans I often cut twelve small pieces off and let the cats have a raw treat, the only thing I don't feel safe giving them raw is ground beef, due to the possibility of contaminants.
I have had the dinner issue but not the kid it was a furry er

RAW bones are SAFE ... Cooked are DEADLY

I can say all five of mine will eat a thigh but only a couple eat the ground