World of Purebreds

starrdazl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I just thought I would introduce myself to everyone here. I am new to the world of purebred cats, as I have had shelter rescues my entire life. I am just now wanting to purchase a purebred kitten for a pet, and I have lots of questions and lots I still need to learn. I realize that some of my questions may seem a bit stupid to some of you experienced breeders and such, but I hope you all will be willing to work with me. I am very eager to learn all the ropes of the purebred cat world and gain as much knowledge as I possibly can! Thanks for reading and I look forward to chatting with everyone here.

Starrdazl

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok great! What do you want to know? There are many varieties of purebred, pedigree'd cats. Shorthairs, Longhairs, No-Hairs, etc. etc.

What type of breed cat are you interested in?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First sit down and look at the cats in the different associations and pick out some you may be interested in (google Cat Fanciers Association, American Cat Fanciers Association, or The International Cat Association).

Longhair cats are high maintence cats - many of them, especially Persians, need to be groomed every day or at least 3 times a week to keep mats from forming.

Shorthairs are a lot easier in many ways as far as grooming and you get a lot more choices of breeds too.

I show (and did breed Cornish Rex) cats. My first purebred show cat was a Russian Blue, then we went to Cornish Rex and now own Ocicats. I also had ONE longhair - a Turkish Angora but didn't like the work involved.

Narrow your choices down to 2-3 breeds and read all you can about them. Then when you are ready to pick out a breeder, ask us in here first. Many of us show cats and can help you out with references to the breeders/breeds you like. Don't be afraid to ask questions about good/bad breeders - we don't want you to be ripped off by bad breeders

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here talking of purebred is also the question, what do you mean for buying the cat for pet?

A moggie taken for pet is perhaps a homeless adopted and kept as a home family cat.
Like bought purebred cats usually are = happy and loved family cats.
Beautiful cats and all that, but usually they are "just" loved family cats, practically family members. Pets.

Home cats if you want. Even if they now and then travel to shows.

In any case, so it is in Sweden, where most breeders and cat owners are small, and practically all cats are family cats, so also show cats and most breeding cats. (ONLY exception are sometimes the studs)

But a purebred cat "sold as pet" means usually of not the highest quality = "pet quality". And thus usually is sold cheaper than a cat sold as probable show-quality or breeding quality. = also "breeding rights".
This cat CAN be of very good quality, but the breeder is not quaranteeing anything. You can show it if you wish although you will probably not win.
But the right to breed on it is very limited. If you want to breed you must ask the breeder and get a clear accept. Many breeders do neuter these sold as pet quality for pet quality prices before they leave for their new home.

Of course, it is not any real problem nor sacrifice for most purebred cat owners. Most purebred cats dont breed anyway and they get neutered. Also many who are good enough to breed on.

And most cat owners do not pursuit a career in Shows. They perhaps participate several times, are happy if the judge gives the cat some nice remarks. The cat can perhaps with time even win a champion title. But the wins; Best in Show and such - is WAY beyond their horisonts...

In other words: buying a cat of "pet quality" is entirely normal, sound thing to do. What most people do.
Unless you really do plan for breeding and or successfully participating in shows.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Along with hair length, you need to decide on activity level. Do you want a very active, busy cat (my favourite
) or a more quiet relaxed breed.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
go to a cat show, you will be glad that you did

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree go to a cat show.
I did that before I decided on a sphynx.
Now I have 2 and will be getting a 3rd one.
Everyone else has given you great advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Don't be afraid to ask questions about good/bad breeders - we don't want you to be ripped off by bad breeders
Right. Above all. Watch out for them kitten mills, and very unserious "breeders". Nor dont buy your kitten or puppy in the zoo-shop.

They often dont even sell purebred cats (or dogs). They really sell "look alike" moggies*, without proper certificates. Remember: No papers = moggie.
"I´shall send in the papers later" = let the alarm bells sound.

There are some variations. Their main connection is they produce for selling and profite, not for the best of the breed nor the best of the cats.

The problem is of course, sometimes they do sell formally purebred kittens. The lineage isnt the best if I say so, but they do have papers.

Some typical signs for mills. If several of the signs are there = mill:

Big. The queens have litters frequently, twice a year or more often. The food they qet is cheap not of good quality. Veterinary, insurance often non existing: if the cat gets serious problems, off she goes... The cats apparently not accustomed to people. Never or very seldom participating in shows (and IF so only with very few of the cats). Not trying to get good studs, using only the easiest and cheapest attainable. Seldom participating in courses or seminaries for breeders. NOT belonging to a reputable organisation / cat club. The breeder dont know every kitten by name, being there or sold. The breeder knowing the lineage of cats in the breed is good sign. The breeder dont know most customers/buyers of her cats. Her/him apparently dont caring who is buying, caring mostly about the payment... A reputable breeder delivers healthy kittens. If health is not 100% OK, they wait with the delivery till the kitten is again entirely healthy. Good to take references from previous kitten buyers. If the breeder wants to keep contact, to know how it is going with the kitten/later cat , giving advices - very good sign. What is said if you by any reason cant keep the cat?? What is the breeder doing with the queens and studs not longer in service, how are they cared for??
Good breeders usually do care about their kittens they sell even years afterwards! .

So it is some about the mill.

The difference about a unserious small breeder, and a beginning unexperienced breeder may often be very thin. So here you must decide from case to case, and let your stomach-instinct decide.

*There is of course nothing wrong with "look-alike" moggies. But it is wrong to sell them as pure pedigree or almost purebreed with purebred price tag and pretend they are pedigree...
So if you are happy with a look alike moggie, try to get it at a shelter for the usual shelter price. Dont never ever buy it at a mill....

Last. I wrote quite a lot. Perhaps too much. But this forum do have visitors from all the world. Mills are a reality in many countries.
You never know who will read this, and perhaps have use from these advices.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Big. The queens have litters frequently, twice a year
twice yearly litters are common in many breeds and does not mean kitten mill, our associations allow for 2 litters a year.

Some breeds call so frequently it's dangerous to have just one litter per year.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

twice yearly litters are common in many breeds and does not mean kitten mill, our associations allow for 2 litters a year.

Some breeds call so frequently it's dangerous to have just one litter per year.
Right, I stand corrected. I was thinking on the rules of our main European association, the FIFe, which allows 3 litters in 24 months. Exceptions may be allowed only if the litters were small.

2 a year alone isnt no big deal, right.
A combinations of signs and telltales, several of them is deciding if it is a mill, as I wrote.

More than 2 a years is a sign - that we agree?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longhairs may be a little more work, grooming wise, but the personality definitely pays off. I breed two of the most popular breeds in the world - Persians & Exotics.

Just giving you a small taste of these two breeds - to see if you are interested. Of course typing any breed into google will give you tonnes of pics!

This is a photo of my Exotic boy - aged 4 weeks

And a photo of my Persian girl - aged 9 weeks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some other tips.

While many people will say "don't buy from the internet" - that's not always true. If you research the person, look at their website and talk to them a lot by phone or emails and ask around to other breeders, they will be quick to tell you who NOT to buy from.

For example, our first Ocicat, Charlie, was bought by luck. We met the breeder at a show and talked briefly. Then we went home and really studied the breed to see if we wanted to buy from her. She was the closest breeder to us. We did drive down and pick up the kitten (6 hrs one way). Charlie granded in the shows, but was not that great of a cat type wise. I wanted better and by that time had done enough research to know exactly what the standard was and what I was looking for.

Next Ocicat was bought thru the net from the breeders website. I liked her cats in many ways and she had several grand champions. I never met Anne in person, but talked a lot by pc or phone. Also joined the breed groups on yahoo where you have a lot of breeders/owners who post. On there they will caution people about "buyers" - and just say "if (so in so contacts you about a kitten...call me first)" - this is the polite way of warning about people or breeders. I made friends with a few other Ocicat breeders and they all recommended Anne as a good breeder with quality cats. When we got Jack (actually I did help pick him out thru pictures as he was growing up), he was much better then Charlie and has not disappointed us in any way.

So study the breed standard, research a LOT before you pick out a breeder and if you can visit the breeder (no always possible). If the breeder is not breeding to the standard, you don't want to buy a purebred cat from them.

Another example: this breeder is a very good friend of ours and she is currently working on her website (not finished yet). She has quality cats and shows a lot. She also breeds to the standard and her cats are grand champions. http://cornishrexbreeder.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starrdazl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the friendly advice everyone!
I really like Persians, Ragdolls, and Maine Coons.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

While many people will say "don't buy from the internet" - that's not always true. If you research the person, look at their website and talk to them a lot by phone or emails and ask around to other breeders, they will be quick to tell you who NOT to buy from.
I just got my latest purebred through internet. The cat was imported from another country so I really didn't have much choise to go and visit the different catteries.
But I did research and asked around from other catteries if they knew the breeder etc. Everything went very well and now I have the cutest fluffy terrorist kitten running around the house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, selling with help of a good home-site is no fault. Not all buyers are frequently visiting shows (where reputed breeders are supposed to participate!
). So it very good, even excellent, as long it is done with good taste.

But selling via E-bay / equivalent auction site - is well into the boundaries of respectablility - yet it happens. *shocked*