Working on my terms--is my new girl a torbie?

shadylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got this new little thing from the shelter and wondering what to call her. She's obviously just a lil' mutt, so I'm just wondering about the name for her color pattern, not trying to figure out any ancestry. Does she have enough orange in her to be a torbie, or is she just a brown mackrel?

I love the little black bottoms of her feet :)

I also have two (HUGE) gray-on-gray mackrel tabbies (no white or black to speak of on either of them) and a bicolor white girl with gray splotches on her head, back, and tail. All just regular shelter shorthairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also very confused about her age--the shelter told me five months, but she came to us scrawny as anything but five and a half pounds. And the vet laughed and said there was no way she was that old, and was definitely only 3 or 4 months (judging by her teeth, I guess? I wasn't there). Now she's up to 6 lbs and a little less scrawny but certainly not chubby, so...that would be a big 3 or 4 month old! And she LOOKS very small. My roommate and I did a double take when we weighed her, because we couldn't believe she was that heavy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet ages kittens by figuring on 1 pound a month, up to 6 months. Although that wouldn't work for especially large or especially small kitties :D. I think my boy Scotty was 12 pounds at 6 months, LOL. Did she have her adult "fangs" when you got her? They lose their baby canine teeth around 4 months so if they were fully grown in she was probably about 5 months or so.

I can't see wnough in the picture to say if she's a torbie. Sometimes they get a rusty color on their extremities but it's just a different shade of brown, not actually red/orange. If she has red splotches mixed in around the rest of her body, she's a torbie.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she's pretty! I love that little "rusting" around her face. I'd suggest Autumn for her name, because the blush of orange reminds me of the beginning of Fall. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Her name is Lincoln because we thought she was a boy at first and it stuck, haha! We call her Link mostly.

She definitely looks like she has some bright orange smudges--I'll try to get some better pictures--but we probably won't be able to tell much until she's older. Mostly I'm just wondering exactly HOW stupid I was for thinking she was a boy. Obviously if she's actually tri-color that should have been a pretty big hint...