Will my blood hurt them?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds funny maybe, but serious question. I was cutting up some cornish hens this morning and managed to cut my finger with the scissors while doing it. I never felt it so I'm not sure how long it was bleeding.

Probably not very long, and it's likely I didn't get any blood in their meat. I think I noticed it right away, because suddenly the piece of meat I was holding was very red. And I was like...wait..what's that, more liver? That was when I noticed my finger all red too and when I ran it (and the piece of breast) under cold water I saw the cut.

I put everything down, let the finger bleed out for a couple of minutes, then washed it and bandaged it. I rinsed the piece of meat and put it with the rest, it wasn't until just now that I started wondering if my blood would be bad for the cats. :lol3:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine why your blood would be any different from any other blood. . .but eww! :lol3: Maybe they'll get a taste for it and eat you in your sleep now ;).

Hope your finger heals up quickly!

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It it wasn't enough to cause significant damage to you, I don't see why it would be so bad for the cats. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine why your blood would be any different from any other blood. . .but eww! :lol3: Maybe they'll get a taste for it and eat you in your sleep now ;).
Hope your finger heals up quickly!
LOL. You just reminded me of one time years and years ago when I had a cut on my arm. I must have picked the scab in my sleep, and I woke up to one of my cats busily licking up the blood that was seeping out of the half healed cut.

It's funny I didn't feel the cut when it happened this morning, it's a clean cut, the scissors are sharp, but kind of deep, and it hurts a bit now. As it turns out there is another cut on the next finger, too, which I didn't notice until I cut a grapefruit and the juice ran into it! The second cut is not deep, but deep enough for that juice to sting! :lol3:

I was kind of in a hurry to finish the hens.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: You sound like me! Only I had lyme disease at the time, and we were taking Chumley to the vet. I usually put my fingers through the crate to pet whatever kitty's in there on the cheek... and I forgot that Chumley doesn't like pets with hands ( :rolleyes: ), and he was stressed... and bit my finger. Poor guy! I didn't think to ask the vet - and when we got back, I got worried maybe he'd catch lyme from me.

He didn't. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol3: You sound like me! Only I had lyme disease at the time, and we were taking Chumley to the vet. I usually put my fingers through the crate to pet whatever kitty's in there on the cheek... and I forgot that Chumley doesn't like pets with hands ( :rolleyes: ), and he was stressed... and bit my finger. Poor guy! I didn't think to ask the vet - and when we got back, I got worried maybe he'd catch lyme from me.
He didn't. :)
Oh Laurie that's so funny! I hope the bite healed up okay, without infection? I don't know why I was worried my blood would be bad for them, when I started this thread. It seems silly now that I was worried about it, after I remembered the time Bibbs :angel: was licking my bleeding wound. ;)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My finger was fine. :lol3: I don't remember if I had colloidal silver here or not... that's what I use now on any little bites or scratches and it works REALLY well and quickly. But whatever we used worked. :)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't even read farther than the first post. Gives me the willies!! nlrfdsjhbfglekrhfg

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of something that wasn't funny at the time, but is now that I can look back on it...

When I first started cutting up my cats' food, being a total neophyte in the kitchen, I constantly nicked myself. A couple of days in, I sliced one of my fingers pretty badly and it was bleeding rather profusely. Since the cats still needed to be fed, I kept rinsing the cut and working on the meat as fast as I could. Once everything was ready, I rinsed off any blood I could see on the meat and fed the kitties.

Later that night, I was lying in bed reading when one of the cats (don't even remember who) came over and started licking that same hand. Suddenly, with a shocking clarity that pierced my brain and pinned me to the bed, I shuddered with the awareness that my cats now had a taste for my flesh, and I was being licked in prep for possibly being eaten. My adrenaline shot through the roof, my breath came fast and I thought, "OMG, what have I done?"

The panic attack lasted about the same amount of time it took to describe it just now and then my common sense, thankfully, reasserted itself. And, of course, the cat was only licking me because he or she was in an affectionate mood.

All this time later, I can laugh about that instant of fear, but at the time, it was crazy real. 

AC