why not bugs?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody ever wonder why no Raw Food Recipe Plans include bugs?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the mem you call them flys I call them treats with wings! I would feed bug food I feel bad about the commercial raised chicken in my cats food.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anybody ever wonder why no Raw Food Recipe Plans include bugs?
Honestly my little guy has no problem catching his own bugs to snack on, I don't need to bother doing the extra work.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Canada and yhere is a farmer that raises crickets and roast them and freeze dries the meal for food products. As a protein it could go in cat food thats what I ment

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Canada and yhere is a farmer that raises crickets and roast them and freeze dries the meal for food products. As a protein it could go in cat food thats what I ment
I was reading a really interesting article about how commercial insect farming is starting (slowly) to take off. It sounds like a most sensible thing - environmentally sustainable and a much more cost effective way to produce large quantities of protein. It's most likely to be used first for animal feed as we in the West are pretty squeamish about eating insects. I think it's a matter of culture though, and given time people can be convinced to eat more insect protein. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to eating cricket flour in a baked product. And if I were making my own pet food, I would be using a lot of insects to make up the protein. I think it's fine as long as those insects are produced in hygenic conditions and aren't carrying harmful bacteria.

ETA: here's a link to the article:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/feature-why-insects-could-be-ideal-animal-feed

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will play with any bugs found and eventually eat them.  EXCEPT Jar flies.  A jar fly gets eaten immediately.  And if any other pet is near the catch?  There could be a fight.

Jar flies must be AWESOME!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Wiggies goes nuts for moths. He even jumps up to catch cracks or holes in the walls thinking that they're moths! :lol3: I always feel a little sorry for any moth that flies his way...