Why is my cat obsessed with Twinkie’s?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Begging in cats (and dogs) is a hard habbit to break but it can be done. You must ignore them at all times when they beg. By giving him treats you are rewarding the behaviour thus encouraging it.

Everybody in your house must follow the rule of not rewarding begging. I trained Kabuto to lie next to me while I eat if im on the sofa.

He used to actualy try to climb on me to take food. A family member had been feeding him tabble scraps it turns out.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I looked after two cats once that would kill for hot milk.. I used to make myself one in the evenings, and resorted to drinking it standing in the middle of the room, well away from any furniture (I would have gone outside, but it was a London Winter 🥶). In the end I either locked them out of the room (and didn't listen to their very vocal attempts to get in), or distracted them with a treat they liked even more.
I don't consider that situation, or the Twinkie one for that matter, as 'begging'. It's more some kind of bizarre compulsion.. for some reason the cats have an absolute passion for the milk/Twinkie. And one box a month isn't going to create a huge habit.
It's an unusual thing for a cat to want, though (I had to google it.. we don't have Twinkies in Australia).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 1 box every 6 months. Sometimes I just really want Twinkie’s. I think it is the fake cream they are filled with and the cake it’s self. Normally he doesn’t beg but he goes crazy for twinkies!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Captain, we think, was allowed to have people food while he was living with his other people.

He doesn't get any here, but this cat had a brief time shortly after we adopted him --until he learned he wouldn't get any, where he would seriously have committed murder to get a certain brand of potato chip.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is too cute. :clap: I know that cats are semi-lactose intolerant, but I don't think an occasional treat would be so awful.

I have posted the story about my RB cat Daisy before. She was a stray who showed up at my BIL's business, skin and bones. As the business was on a busy highway, he called the shelter. He felt bad about it, and even paid for us to adopt her.

One day, we went to a local strawberry farm, where DH forced me to pick strawberries (grumble, grumble). I set the basket on the kitchen counter when we came home. Daisy promptly sat up like a groundhog and started begging for them. I kept trying to explain to her that she didn't like strawberries, but uou know how cats are. They think they are right. So, I gave her one to prove she wouldn't like it. She ate it and begged for more.

Over her lifetime, I grew a strawberry garden and we enjoyed in the spring and summer m. During the cold months, we bought them from the grocery store. They weren't an everyday thing like, but an occasional treat. Since cats don't taste sweetness, I guess she liked the way they smelled. Maybe she ate strawberries when she was a stray.

Alas, Twinkies don't grow in the wild. One can only wish. :sigh:

Bet it's the cream filling.