Why Does Mango Drink From His Fountain At This Weird Angle?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are weird?

I really couldn't tell you. I have a cat who will only drink from the fountain if his front paws are on the edge of the bowl. My girl will only drink if her side is pressed to the wall and its from a specific spot of the spout. Which means if it is off or there is something on the floor she won't drink. So I keep the floor clear and make sure it is always on.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never ask WHY a cat does something! :nono:

They do it because they can! :redtongue:

Haha, I've seen a lot of cats drink from a glass that way; maybe they like to feel the edge of the glass on their tongue.

Also, that's a cool fountain! Does it have a filtering system or is it just a recirculator?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never ask WHY a cat does something! :nono:

They do it because they can! :redtongue:

Haha, I've seen a lot of cats drink from a glass that way; maybe they like to feel the edge of the glass on their tongue.

Also, that's a cool fountain! Does it have a filtering system or is it just a recirculator?
Just a recirculator I haven’t figured out a way to DIY a filter system so I just clean it out often as of now.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably because of the same reason Cheese insists on drinking from the BACK side of her water bowl....thereby dragging her tags and chest fuzz through the water, and then decides it's time to come snuggle with me...and getting me wet in the process too. What a turd she is.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try pulling the glass to the back of the bowl to see if it gives him more room. every cat I have drinks different, teh weirdest is Casper, He ALWAYS crouches and wiggles his rear end, like he is 'planting ' his feet to jump. Then he arches up his neck and ever so slowly lowers his head to the water, touching his nose to it and rearing back. I see him doing this outside too. He has to have his own little water cup up by the sink too, he refuses to drink with the others.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird.

Mine likes running water but she likes it to flow over a surface that her tongue hits while drinking, not something deep or a waterfall. Her favorite is my fish tank filters but I finally managed to make them inaccessible by racking the tanks. She'll settle for the fountain sometimes but it just doesn't compare to the filter. If I ever have a spare filter I'll make it into a fountain for her

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally realized, it is his sensitive whiskers hitting the side

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Final update:

I fixed his fountain so it is more whisker friendly, and more proportional to his size long term. :) I found a drinking glass that has a ring on the bottom that connects with the concave bottom of the glass bowl and “locks in” so to speak, it’s really stable! More pieces to clean but it’s worth it if he uses it more :yess:
EB221DA3-50D7-4F7E-8E10-A5CE10C022E4.jpeg
81C83B9D-B7B0-4D27-A8D5-B3BAB156BC46.jpeg

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats are funny on drinking. Mine sometimes does a little "moonwalk" with her front paws before drinking from a fountain.

The usual DIY solution for homemade pet fountain filters is aquarium supplies. Specifically a layer of aquarium floss (or one of the bigblue pads cut to size), a layer of activated charcoal, then another layer of floss Stick that in a small watertight canister, drill holes for your tubing, and seal them with aquarium sealant (silicone caulk basically, bust an especially pure variety).

I don't DIY my fountains(though I may at some point), but I do sometimes open up the replacement filters meant for my pet fountains and refill them with aquarium floss and charcoal.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats are funny on drinking. Mine sometimes does a little "moonwalk" with her front paws before drinking from a fountain.

The usual DIY solution for homemade pet fountain filters is aquarium supplies. Specifically a layer of aquarium floss (or one of the bigblue pads cut to size), a layer of activated charcoal, then another layer of floss Stick that in a small watertight canister, drill holes for your tubing, and seal them with aquarium sealant (silicone caulk basically, bust an especially pure variety).

I don't DIY my fountains(though I may at some point), but I do sometimes open up the replacement filters meant for my pet fountains and refill them with aquarium floss and charcoal.
Perfect yeah that should work how long do you think the home made filter would last though? That’s too complex to do often

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
If you use a canister that screws apart, you can refill it pretty quickly. On a guess you'll want to replace the filter media somewhere between monthly and seasonally.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Radar is half Cornish Rex, a breed that is known for enjoying playing with water.

We won a drinking fountain in a raffle at a cat show and thought "Radar will love this!".

He actually managed to break it within about 12 hours by dragging loads of stuff into the well at the bottom - he had a lot of fun drowning cat toys and one of my husband's baseball caps - but then he found some tissues and put those in the bowl - clogged the pump and broke it. He does love lapping at running water from a tap, but a pet fountain was toy rather than a source of water to drink.

So yeah - cats are weird basically :D