Why Do My Cats Like The Wrong End Of Wand Toys?

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two 13 week old kittens have several wand toys that I have lovingly picked out for them over the course of the month I’ve had them. The wand toys are their favorite. However, as much as they like the toys dangling off the end....Bowie and Nox are OBSESSED with playing with the stick end. I’ll hold the end of the stick that has the string coming from it and trail the other end of the stick all over the place. They go nuts.

WHY????? Obviously I don’t mind at all, but it’s just so strange! I know cats are creative and make their own toys a lot of the time, but why this? Any theories? They are both black cats and all their wand toys have dark sticks, maybe they’re treating them like brother’s tail?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and it's the calico in my picture that loves the wand end. Mizu enjoys trying to catch whatever is flying, hanging, or jumping off the stick. Raja stays by me and tries to chew the stick itself. I'm not sure what I'd do if they were both trying to get the same thing. Maybe hold two?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its 2 toys in one!!

Both of my guys will chase the stick end of the wand. One of the best reactions I ever got was with a dowel from the hardware store - drove them crazy as they chased the end around the floor. This was the first time I ever saw a cat pant out of exhaustion. As a bonus, the dowel is maybe a meter long so you don't have to stoop down so much. (And you can just go outside and get a stick too.)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We play "Stick" with our cat too, who loves the stick end of the wand moving around underneath towels, packing/shipping paper, and sheets, as if a teeny bug or rodent is moving around underneath the towel or "underbrush". Most fun game ever.