Why Are My Kitten’s Ears Starting To Curl?

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C09C364C-59F2-4138-A2FB-7A8E4583A497.jpeg BB115E2C-DEEC-4E6C-AD82-D2A96DAC2ACA.jpeg 1AA0D472-9803-461D-BF7A-6994717F6C48.jpeg

My 4 month old kitten has recently had a change in her ear structure. Over the past week, her ears have begun to curl outwards. Her siblings from the same litter have not developed this. Her brother has ear tuffs. And her parents don’t have this trait either. She’s from a rural cat colony in North Carolina. She is completely healthy, but has been getting dewormer for roundworms for a little over a week now. She had her second dose on Friday. From what I’ve read online, continued steroid use can cause this (which she’s not on). My only guess so far is that she has a recessive gene for the ear curl that’s a result of a mutation or inheritance from a purebred cat (I.e. American Curltail). Anyone else have a cat that developed this as an older kitten? What do their ears look like now? I’m uploading an image of her taken August 17 and two taken tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whoops, meant dominant gene. And the lady who takes care of the colony said none of the other cats she’s seen there have curled ears. And she’s adopted out every kitten when they were young. Just find it odd that this developed at 4 months old.

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard that dogs' ears can go wonky when they're teething. I've never heard of it happening in cats but it might, and she's the right age for it. It'll be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure!
She’s definitely teething! Keeps trying to suck on my fingers and nibble them. Since I posted, her ears haven’t changed much. They almost look like their starting to fold backwards now.

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s definitely teething! Keeps trying to suck on my fingers and nibble them. Since I posted, her ears haven’t changed much. They almost look like their starting to fold backwards now.
Their= they’re , I’m a grammar nazi...

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that dogs' ears can go wonky when they're teething. I've never heard of it happening in cats but it might, and she's the right age for it. It'll be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure!
I agree here. We gave my Papillon calcium when he was a baby to keep his ears upright as calcium deficiency can cause them to flop.

Is there a possibolity of an American Curl somewhere in the breeding history? They have some genetc thingy that causes ears to curl backwards!
American Curl (Longhair) | Cats | Breed Information | Omlet

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...View attachment 249727 View attachment 249728

My 4 month old kitten has recently had a change in her ear structure. Over the past week, her ears have begun to curl outwards. Her siblings from the same litter have not developed this. Her brother has ear tuffs. And her parents don’t have this trait either. She’s from a rural cat colony in North Carolina. She is completely healthy, but has been getting dewormer for roundworms for a little over a week now. She had her second dose on Friday. From what I’ve read online, continued steroid use can cause this (which she’s not on). My only guess so far is that she has a recessive gene for the ear curl that’s a result of a mutation or inheritance from a purebred cat (I.e. American Curltail). Anyone else have a cat that developed this as an older kitten? What do their ears look like now? I’m uploading an image of her taken August 17 and two taken tonight.
It can happen with long-term, high doses of Pred/steroid use -- but the underlying issues with that have to do with high cortisol, and/or adrenal or pituitary issues. It could also be a genetic ear thing too, of course, but I guess if it were me & even though it's unlikely at this cat's age, I'd check out the symptoms for Cushing's disease, & adrenal or pituitary cancers. If you continue to have concerns or especially, if you see other symptoms and decline in health, it wouldn't hurt to visit a vet internist or one specializing in endocrinology. Did she get a recent full blood chem panel and the like? I know some might think 4 months old is too young for that, but sometimes it's a good thing to do, if even just for a baseline to look at and put within the cat's chart for future guidance.

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn’t had a full blood panel done, but I’ll definitely consider getting one done at her next vet visit. Her ears have stopped curling right now and haven’t returned to normal.

It can happen with long-term, high doses of Pred/steroid use -- but the underlying issues with that have to do with high cortisol, and/or adrenal or pituitary issues. It could also be a genetic ear thing too, of course, but I guess if it were me & even though it's unlikely at this cat's age, I'd check out the symptoms for Cushing's disease, & adrenal or pituitary cancers. If you continue to have concerns or especially, if you see other symptoms and decline in health, it wouldn't hurt to visit a vet internist or one specializing in endocrinology. Did she get a recent full blood chem panel and the like? I know some might think 4 months old is too young for that, but sometimes it's a good thing to do, if even just for a baseline to look at and put within the cat's chart for future guidance.

amy dubis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update time! Her ears went back to normal about a week after my last post. It was almost instant (1 day). And now last week they’ve begun to curl again. Her siblings also had this happen, although it wasn’t as noticeable. She’s had full bloodwork done and vet was stumped as to why it was happening. The only connection I’ve noticed is she goes through intense periods of teething while they’re curled.