Who do I believe??????

eddie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Eddie, had a urinary blockage about 3-4 weeks ago. I took him to the closest vet because I knew that he was extreamly sick. He was there for 3 days and they did the cath and removed his blockage and changed his diet. The vet said to get him neutered and it might help. When I got him 3 years ago, I was under the impression that he was not nuetered. He is a indoor cat at all times and never sprayed. We live in the mountains with no other cats around so he has never had the desire to roam. All this time I believed that he was a Tom. So I took him in to the local humane society yesterday to get him neutered. They put him under and determined that he was already neutered. This cat will not let any one touch his belly or especially down there. How do I know whitch vet is right? Is he neutered or not?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand your question? Both vets should be able to tell that he has been neutered. It is the females where it is hard to determine. Neutering does not all the time stop UTI or blockages. Some male cats are just prone them to them, brought on by diet, lack of enough water, or genetic reasons. If your cat were not neutered you would know it by the smell of the urine, the aggression factor and he would spray. It is just in their nature. Because he has never sprayed your home (that you know of) that is a pretty good indication that he has been neutered. Most feral/stray cats that are neutered because of a rescue situation have their ear tipped, so one look at them out in the wild, you can tell that they are not intact. Your cat was probably a pet-owned stray.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me, I would go with the opinion of the local humane society vet. Also, I would think he was neutered, as you say he has never sprayed and has never shown the desire to roam. Even if there aren't other cats near you, if he was intact, his raging hormones would probably have given him the desire to roam and mate with a female.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eddie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am just so confused. When I got him the lady I took him from said she had had him from a kitten, gave me the name of her vet and told me what they would charge to neuter him. He was about 1 yr old when I got him. Even though he has never sprayed that I know of, he has always kind of acted like a "tom". I grew up on a farm and we had many that were dropped off through the years. I guess that I will have to think that he is already neutered. Thanks for the advise. I was just dumfounded when I went to pick him up yesterday expecting a neutered cat and I was told that he was already neutered and they didn't know until they had already put him under.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious, did they charge you for the procedure?

eddie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To get him neuterd it was gonig to be $25. They charged me $15 for putting him under. The tech told me that they usually catch it before but for some reason they didn't this time.

eddie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not too concerened about the $15. More so about having him put under and going through the stress if the hour long car ride to the vet ang being so upset and stressed about being put under. He was soooooo upset last night and I don't think that I slept for more than 1/2 hour at a time from his howling and wandering and stubling around.

eddie's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. All I have been able to do in all the years that I have had Eddie, all I can do is look at him. He HATES any one touching the underside of him. I just figured when he went to the other vet and they did the cath and exam and all of that when he was under, that they would know what they are talking about. I have a call in to them but so far nothing. Guess they got their $400 so they don't care.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If his urine smells strong and he acts like a Tom and the lady that raised him had never had him fixed, then is it possible he is bilateraly cryptorchid?
That means that neither of his testicles have descended? Did a vet actually look at him at the HS or was it only a tech? If he was never examined by a vet at the HS then I would act on the advice of your first vet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

If his urine smells strong and he acts like a Tom and the lady that raised him had never had him fixed, then is it possible he is bilateraly cryptorchid?
That means that neither of his testicles have descended? Did a vet actually look at him at the HS or was it only a tech? If he was never examined by a vet at the HS then I would act on the advice of your first vet.
You read my mind. The thread was lost in the crash, but I had to have ZsaZsa (spayed hermaphrodite) checked out for a possible undescended testicle back in September, and the clinic did blood tests and a sonography. Believe it or not, the first vet who neutered "her" never bothered to check.