White flakey balding patch on kitten

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Marley is about 11 weeks old. I adopted him from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago. He has already had his deworming, flea treatment, and luekemia shot. He is scheduled for shots next week because the vet put him on some antibiotics for a small cold. I noticed a dry balding area by his ear and showed it to the vet. He didn't act too concerned but did treat him for ear mites. I now noticed a small spot on the center of his head that is really flakey and is balding. It is a pretty small spot but still concerns me. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and ask what it is and if you should bring him in. I don't have experience with this, but usually calling the vet is a good first step.

Good luck!

G

ghostuser

Also, it could be a good idea to check for fleas, it ould be a reaction to flea bites. Going to the vets is always a good idea. (I run to mine even when I probably shoudn't) ((Yet if I'm sick....thats another story))

princeegrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think you should take him to a vet to get him checked out again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatCrew

Also, it could be a good idea to check for fleas, it ould be a reaction to flea bites. Going to the vets is always a good idea. (I run to mine even when I probably shoudn't) ((Yet if I'm sick....thats another story))
I just took him to the vet friday, he is flea free.

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I would get him in to the vet, it's possible it's ringworm.
he also has a spot by his ear that was balding, but is very dry still.

I don't think it is ring worms, couldn't i see it?

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatCrew

it is 30 bucks everytime I take him NOT including random things they decide to look at and meds... YIKES

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yucky. I took my kitten to the vet and they put a ultra violet light over him and the dry bald spots showed up GREEN. It means there is fungas there. They gave me a topical ointment and oral drops.

They think he got them either before or while in the Humane Society. I like to adopt kitties, but you never know what kind of problems they have. Especially here. The shelter keeps all 20ish cats and kittens in one two story cage. It is big enough for 3 people to stand in. I feel so bad for those cats/kittens.

Thanks for the tips. I am glad he got some medicine.

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not sure if your vet told you, but you can contract ringworm from your kitty. if you start getting any flaky patches on your skin, go get some antifungal lotion.

G

ghostuser

Originally Posted by krystalized

it is 30 bucks everytime I take him NOT including random things they decide to look at and meds... YIKES
Yeah, I know, my vet in NY is 49.00 per visit.
Thank god for credit cards, because I'm an over-worrier when it comes to my pets!!

My cats had ringworm once, all three of them, and I somehow managed to avoid getting it. At least it was something that is treatable!!

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a thread a few days ago about my kitten Marley that I adopted from the Humane Society. He had flakey skin in patches. I took him to my vet and he does have ring worms. They used a blacklight and his patches showed up green. It is ring worms and they are doing a culture.

My kitten's ring worms have spread. To begin with he had one on head,ear,paw. Now he also has one on tail and neck. I am medicating him orally and topically with meds from the vet, is there any anti fungal bath I can purchase? I plan on calling my vet monday, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

The poor guy looks so pitiful with all the ointment on it and absolutely HATES the medicine. He tries to spit it out.

Please Help.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep doing what the vet is telling you to do. Get the bath solution from him and be careful when you handle your kitten, wear surgical gloves. Ringworm spreads, it is a fungus. You should probably be prepared to get it as well that is just the way of it. If you have little sisters at home, keep them away from the kitten. There is nothing "safe" for you to buy over the counter. Keep to what the vet is telling you to do.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm takes a long time to clear up. Just be vigilant with what you are doing and be sure and follow proper hygiene after you handle your kitten.

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Ringworm takes a long time to clear up. Just be vigilant with what you are doing and be sure and follow proper hygiene after you handle your kitten.
Good gracious. I hear selson blue can help clear up ring worms on humans and animals.

G

ghostuser

I wouldn't use selson blue on a cat without checking with your vet. You never know if your kitty lick it off, it might make him sick. I honestly can't remember ho wlong the ringworm lasted with my guys. Maybe three weeks? But it did clear up and never came back, just be patient.