Which cat is she?

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat from the street. She seems like Korat or Russian Blue. I can't tell the difference. Can anybody help e to identify the breed? Thanks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for adopting that sweet baby, she is beautiful! She also looks full of kitten mischief too! Without papers it is almost impossible to identify the linage of a cat, but I'm sure there are some breeders that could guess at her background., I would  say she has some Russian Blue in her. She would be listed as a blue domestic short hair for a description. I pray you have many, many years of love ahead of you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree.  its not easy to say from just a photo, but the head shape reminds me more of a RB than Korat.

Both you and she won the highest win on the Lottery!

Proceed to have the Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot :) It's been only a few days, but I already feel like she is the most beautiful creature in the world :) 

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for mentioning the thread @Norachan  , you know me, always happy to see more blue kitties here!  

Your little cat is very pretty @serpil  , what is her name?    She has the beautiful green eyes of RB cats and I agree more of the Russian Blue head and face shape but as Di and Bob said it is always difficult without any papers.  The characteristics of the RB breed are naturally occuring though so you do see cats with strong resemblance.  Without any pedigree papers your cat can certainly be called Maltese as this is the given name for all solid or mostly gray / blue cats which do not have another pedigree.   I am looking forward to seeing and hearing lots more about this young female, I am thinking she is going to be full of mischief going by the concentrated look in her eyes.  

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is Mia :) I thought she might be Korat, then I saw Russian Blue's pictures. They look very similar, but their personalities are apparently different. Then I was curious about her breed when I read the article below. She has two white dot son the belly and she doesn't have a very dense grey coat. So, I couldn't understand :)

In considering Korat Cat vs Russian Blue personality is also a contrasting factor. The Korat is an active and engaging cat. It can be kept entirely indoors: this might be at the risk of climbing your curtains. It notices everything with great intensity and constantly wants to be involved. It seems to naturally become the most most important creature in the house and will supervise all you do. My female Korat bonded with me from a very early age and became an inseparable companion. This seems to be common behavior for a Korat. All Korats have a love of cuddling and close contact. Many are highly talkative and confident.The Russian Blue has an altogether more tranquil, quiet and easygoing nature: it is one of the breeds ideal for apartment life. Unlike the Korat it will not be the first to greet visitors and may initially remain aloof. The Korat can be pushy the Russian Blue is more reserved. The Russian has a reputation as very loving and playful,  and ability to get along with other animals. It might be a better cat for someone working all day than a Korat.

I bought her a mouse and one hour later the mouse was like in the pictures:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
LoL, I'm starting to think Mia is a Trouble cat.  
   I'm not sure it is a breed but it is a good description of quite a few cats, esp blue ones.  
   Mia looks very cute and full of not so well behaved intentions in your photos.  

I always take the behaviour and temperament of different cat breeds with caution.  They are a guide but not definitive.  If they are then I've been had big time by the breeder I bought Mouse from  (she used to call him a plank because he was so daft).  
   I didn't start entering him in cat shows until he was about 2 1/2 because he was such an active, bouncy cat prone to biting me prior to that.  He is far from shy and retiring and likes to greet all who arrive at HIS front door at eye level so he can check them out properly...  It is very rare for him to vanish off in to another room, and is more likely to sniff out all newcomers, make every effort to get them to play with him, and has been known to climb on to the back of a stranger's arm chair and start licking their head when he was being ignored by a room full of people he didn't know.  
  Thankfully when at cat shows he would behave impeccably and snuggle politely with the judges, not a fang in sight. 
      Everything except his somewhat extrovert behaviour tells me he is Russian Blue through and through.    Oh, and they often like their food a bit too much - which Mouse certainly does. 

Mia looks like she has a little ruff on the back of her neck, like a baby cheetah - way too cute.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be something to do with her name.

I've got a Mia and we call her Mia The Minx as she's such a little diva. Doesn't @Gareth  have a Mia that likes trashing his house?

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am beginning to think to adopt another kitten to be a friend for her. She follows me everywhere, sleeps with me and she constantly wants to play. It mıght be different if she has another kitten friend. On the other hand, she dislikes cats around her and afraid of dogs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I am beginning to think to adopt another kitten to be a friend for her. She follows me everywhere, sleeps with me and she constantly wants to play. It mıght be different if she has another kitten friend. On the other hand, she dislikes cats around her and afraid of dogs.
yes, a cat companion is often very good, for both your resident and you.  You do still have the love, but dont need to be the nr 1 companion, dont need to bother as much with the daily trivia, so to speak.

Be sure the new cat is a cat sociale, so you will be sure they will agree.

I would recommend a neutered male.  The probability will be biggest they will be friends.

I had some eye openers with that.  There was this despaired cry for help: !My resident need a new home, but she must be alone cat in the household, she hates other cats."

but after a while it become clear there WAS another cat whom she was friend with. It was a neutered male...

So she wasnt really no cat hater, she "just" couldnt agree with other females...

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@serpil   If thinking about adopting another cat for Mia to play with it is worth thinking about what her socialization with other cats was like before you adopted her.  You say you adopted from the street, do you know what kind of company she was in, if any?   

Mouse will play like crazy with people as soon as he meets them but has no idea what to do if he sees another cat because he only ever met his mom and she kept him firmly in his place in a silent way without hisses, spits, growls or claws.  He was hissed at once when I had him out in his carrier and he looked at the other cat like they were an alien and had no idea what it meant.   I can't imagine he would play with another cat.  If Mia had negative experiences when she was on the street she might find it equally stressful though for different reasons.

serpil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

yes, a cat companion is often very good, for both your resident and you.  You do still have the love, but dont need to be the nr 1 companion, dont need to bother as much with the daily trivia, so to speak.

I would recommend a neutered male.  The probability will be biggest they will be friends.

I had some eye openers with that.  There was this despaired cry for help: !My resident need a new home, but she must be alone cat in the household, she hates other cats."

but after a while it become clear there WAS another cat whom she was friend with. It was a neutered male...

So she wasnt really no cat hater, she "just" couldnt agree with other females...

@serpil   If thinking about adopting another cat for Mia to play with it is worth thinking about what her socialization with other cats was like before you adopted her.  You say you adopted from the street, do you know what kind of company she was in, if any?   

Mouse will play like crazy with people as soon as he meets them but has no idea what to do if he sees another cat because he only ever met his mom and she kept him firmly in his place in a silent way without hisses, spits, growls or claws.  He was hissed at once when I had him out in his carrier and he looked at the other cat like they were an alien and had no idea what it meant.   I can't imagine he would play with another cat.  If Mia had negative experiences when she was on the street she might find it equally stressful though for different reasons.
I don't know anything about her past. She literally was thrown away to the street in a cage. This is why I don't have her papers. I took her to the vet and she told me that she was afraid of dogs and she was hissing to other cats and kittens in the clinic. I presume that she has never been with another pet before.

So, i've decided to take some time with her alone since she is now trying to adapt her new home and in the future i might adopt another male kitten/cat. It is also a huge change for me to have Mia since I've also never been responsible for someone else before. . Everything is going well so far apart from Mia's bites and scratches. I presume this happens since is only 6 months oldshe doesn't know how to play. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little thing! I'm glad she's got a home with you now. To be honest you can't tell how a cat will react to another animal if all you have to go on is her experience at the vets. All those strange sounds and smells, being locked in a cage and poked and prodded by a vet, it's hardly the best situation to meet another cat in. Given time and under the right circumstances she might really enjoy having another cat around.

I think you're making the right decision. Give her time to get used to you and her new home and then think about adopting another cat in the future.

Get a long wand toy to play games with her. You need to have a safe distance between her claws and your fingers when she's in hunter mode.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I don't know anything about her past. She literally was thrown away to the street in a cage. This is why I don't have her papers. I took her to the vet and she told me that she was afraid of dogs and she was hissing to other cats and kittens in the clinic. I presume that she has never been with another pet before.

So, i've decided to take some time with her alone since she is now trying to adapt her new home and in the future i might adopt another male kitten/cat. It is also a huge change for me to have Mia since I've also never been responsible for someone else before. . Everything is going well so far apart from Mia's bites and scratches. I presume this happens since is only 6 months oldshe doesn't know how to play. 
Poor girl.  So she is not street cat (these are surprising often quite cat sociale - as they are used to cooperate when possible).  But she was dumped by some bad owner...

I agree with Nora-chan, and I think your plan is sound.  First make sure she is comfortable with you and your home. After it, when both she and you are comfortable with the situation, go on with the further step.   :)

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
How sad that she was thrown away like that.  She is such a pretty little cat too.  It is a wonderful thing you did in bringing her home with you and taking care of her with vet care, a safe home and food.  With such a rough start for her I agree with Norachan and StefanZ and think some time for her settling in with you is best and that you are making the right decision here.  Perhaps in future you will think she would like some cat company but introduce a companion with care if you do.

There is a lot of advice on how to work with her biting and scratching on TCS, both in the Behaviour Forum and in the Articles section.  If you are patient and consistent with her in how you react when she does this she will learn that it hurts you and should alter her behaviour.  The main things you need to practice are to remain calm, stay still when she bites or scratches, and make a familiar sound such as an ouch or a hiss.  You can also push the part of you she is attacking very slightly in towards her, just gently but enough for her to feel you being firm.  If you move suddenly, even to pull back, she is likely to interpret this action as you either attacking her or wanting to play and it will make the behaviour worse so that is why it is best to stay still.   When you do pull away do it smoothly and slowly.  You might want to have a look at some of the threads in Behaviour, and perhaps start youjr own if you need to.  Here are some links to articles you might find helpful.  The titles might sound off putting but they have some good tips in them:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/playtime-aggression

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/re-directed-aggression-in-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mia really is gorgeous.  I would love to see you join us on the Blue cats thread (link is in my signature below) so you can show her off some more.  

She is very lucky to have found you and to be treasured by someone at last.