Where do I take 4 stray kittens?

jelani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the neighborhood cats had kittens and I was wondering how long do they need to be with their mom? I can't afford to take care of them forever but I dont want to just leave them...What's best thing to do? And where do I take them??

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have taken the liberty of moving your question to the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care Forum. You may get a better response there.

Kittens should stay with their mother until they are at least 12 weeks old and/or have had all three of their kitten-series vaccines, are eating and using the litter box consistantly on their own, and are healthy, well-adjusted and social towards people.

If you have a local rescue or no-kill shelter in your area, it may be best to check with them to see what suggestions they have for you.

There are also some very good suggestions in this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81700

under the Rehoming Kittens section.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you find a no kill shelter.

Maybe the neighbor is willing to help you witht he expenses. You said they where there cats right.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jelani

One of the neighborhood cats had kittens and I was wondering how long do they need to be with their mom? I can't afford to take care of them forever but I dont want to just leave them...What's best thing to do? And where do I take them??
Jelani...also it will be important for the mom cat to be spayed or else she will simply become pregnant again. If you cannot afford to spay her...it is probably best if mom and babies all go into rescue.

Katie

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that!
If the mom and her litter are taken into rescue together (I assume by neighborhood cat you mean a stray that hangs out in your neighborhood?) then they can all be taken care of and the mom would be spayed.
I would suggest making a donation of as much as you can to the rescue to help with the costs when you take her in. And definitely no-kill!
Yay for this girl finding you!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am not sure if you all do this but I do. I tag, license, and microchip my pets. If you watch on the Vet shows they need permission to work on the animals and if there is no way to ID them they are given 72 hr then after that they are the shelter pets and they do what they need to for the health of the animal. If the neighbor isn't able/willing to take them then I say give to the rescue if you cant take them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jelani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We own a cat...but this cat is not ours...This is cat is all around the neighbor hood but steals our cats food..which i don't mind...but I don't think this cat has an owner because I've seen her around alot..We already have 3 cat's and cannot afford anymore even though I wish I could because theyre so cute

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely go with a rescue group or no kill shelter. Babies need
mom till they are 4 wks MIMIMUM. After that they can be taught
to eat wet / dry food. And you can socialize them between 4-6 wks,
after that they are feral (wild). Grab em while you can and put
Mom and kitties in a bathroom till you can get to rescue or
no kill...

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say, you can have Momma fixed and returned outside, if you
are willing to feed her when she comes round. If fixed, no more babies!

Babies can be adopted out by shelter or rescue...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wouldn't seperate them at 4 weeks. That has worked out before but if you can possibly keep them together longer then that is best. Get them into your bathroom and start calling shelters and rescues. The momma can get pregnant again really fast if not spayed so it is important to act fast. Plus the kittens are in all sorts of dangers being outside.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you go to the petsmart website, you cna find a listing of no-kill rescues in your area. If you can't take care of them, or keep the Mom inside to avoid her getting pregnant again, please call one of them. They can take over.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely contact a humane society in your area or something similar...not a kill shelter. I am a member & volunteer of my local Humane Society and we have taken in dozens of nursing mother cats with babies. If possible, mother cat & young go to a foster home where it is peaceful. When the babies are weaned & of age, they go up for adoption unless there is such a strong bond between momma & baby...we only adopt together.

Good luck...and although it is timely...do a search for no kill organizations in your area.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, it doesn't show where you are from. We've got people from all over the WORLD here at TCS - what country or state are you from - maybe we can get some info on people that foster nursing mothers, etc.