Where Did You Get Your Cats?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty was a gift 💗
The lady who is my mom's coworker went to back to our country ( we all from Peru ) for a short vacation last year. She brought back a stray cat with her. She just didn't know the cat was pregnant. She gave 5 kitties on October 25 . At first she was going to sell them but decided better to give them to someone that just really love those kitties. I got almost the last kitty. I have him since January and this month is his birthday 🎂🎉🎉🎉

That his mom and one of his siblings
View attachment 433781
View attachment 433780
And this Pushkin "now" and "before"
View attachment 433779View attachment 433778
They are all so beautiful! Thanks god the woman did the right thing!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first ever cat was found outside in the snow as a kitten. My aunt and uncle brought him to me and my grandmother cared for him. He was named 'Beeps' as he had vocal damage from cold. I was very young, only 4.

Tigger, another childhood cat, was my mum's friend's cat got pregnant. They didn't know how to help her so she stayed with us, we raised the kittens and then returned her. My sister and I were rewarded by helping with getting to keep a kitten. We chose to keep Tigger. She lived to 25.

Nobel's my first actual ownership of a cat. His mum was abandoned pregnant in the woods outside my Gramma's house. He was the only boy, and the only short hair. He's 16 now, and I've had him since I was 16/17.

Lily, I posted on Kijiji for a year old, fixed cat. A couple asked me to come get her and I agreed. It is very likely that I was lied to re: her age. She was found in a box with her litter mates, gifted to a woman who left her at her son's home when she moved and refused to come get her and then given to me. I bought her for my ex when we lived together but he didn't act like it and so when we broke up, I kept her.

Magnus was from a TNR. He and his brother showed up at one of their colonies one day. Not birthed from any residents, no mum or other litter mates and friendly. Trapped within a few weeks and brought to a foster. His foster said he and his brother were not bonded.

Calcifer is from the same TNR. They intook a pregnant mum and he was born inside at a foster home.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that rescue is vitally important and it serves the purpose of the majority of people. However without breeders the breeds would fade away. It is NOT the breeders who are causing the many shelter cats - it is irresponsible people who do not have their cats spayed and neutered. I feel the focus should be on getting the spaying and neutering done instead of destroying the pedigreed cats. Breeders have a niche clientele - those who want specific breed characteristics, and want to know the genetic health of the cat. Most breeders and cat clubs I know work with rescues and support them.
The problem is with PetMill breeders and unethical practices. These are rampant in some places, so it's harder to feel positive towards breeding, if you're feeling the effects from this stuff. Where I am currently, it is just downright awful with dumping pets, backyard breeding, etc. I wouldn't encourage anyone to "shop".

I am not judging. My family has bred dogs. Health, socialization were of the upmost importance. My uncle stopped when there was no demand in the area...he didn't want to risk his pups ending up other places. He still supports his fellow breeder and has a pup from one who used to provide sirs. Other side has to stop with Breed Specific Legislature going in to place.

We also had many rescues growing up as my mum helped foster for a local vet my aunt worked at. I have to say we've gotten 3 pets in adulthood, one from a breeder, one accident born to a good home from papered dogs and Calcifer who was born in foster. It is such a different experience from having a high needs rescue or special needs situation. Easy to train, easy to bond with and manage, good health....all of that. So I certainly hear how enticing it can be.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my two boys from a Registered CFA/TICA Turkish Van breeder in Texas. I spent several months researching breed history, breeders before making my decision.