When you can't trust even a Sardine!

2furgirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am cautiously re-investigating switching Soleste NoBaby, the Fearless Flamepoint Ragdolly over to raw.

I am starting with seafood such as Sardines. I scouted out the best human grade sardines, and found "Wild Planet" Wild Sardines in Spring Water. I was thrilled. "Delicious meaty portions cleaned and scaled". "Sustainably caught along the Calfironia Coast". I'm drooling now.

I turned the packet over, in paroxyms of joy I read on..."Ounce for Ounce Wild Planet sardines provide 3 times more calcium and phosporous than milk, more iron than cooked spinach, as much protein as steak, and as much potassium as bananas. They contain 885 mg DHA and 210 mg EPA of Omega 3 per can while also supplying ample sources of Vit B12, selenium and Vit. D. Sardines contain Coensyme Q10 .... believed to have antioxidant and immune system boosting properties"...

Triumphantly I buy it...I open it, and there near the UPC label is "PROCESSED IN VIETNAM".

Wha....

Let's see, this sardine is caught in CA "Sustainably". Then - either flown or shipped to Vietnam, where the catch is unloaded and disappears into a country with no FDA, "inscrutability", where only a 2008 piece of paper "Action Plan for Import Safety" rules, and returned, by air or sea, filled with Spring Water, canned, stamped, packed...and delivered to my fancy supermarket.

A 20,000 mile roundtrip in the name of sustainability? And, may we trust the California sardine is what was returned in those cans?

Hmmmm. If this is what happens to human grade food I can only imagine what they mat get away with lesser grades of food.