When do I start feeding my kittens less?

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Male-6 mo, and female-7.5mo are definitely eating less than they did a few months ago...I have them down to about 7oz/day ea. spread over 3 meals.  Sometimes they eat it all, and sometimes they leave some...I'm trying to pay attention to that...but I am wondering if they are still eating too much.

My male has always had a pot belly, like a miniature lion, he is heavily muscled and very dense...but I am not sure if his belly is 'fat' or normal.  My female seems slender, much lighter than my male, but also she might have the start of a belly.

When did you guys transition your kittens to 'adult' portions?  I want to make sure I keep my kittens at healthy weight, but not underfeed them either.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, it's been so long since we had kittens in our home. When we did, we were free-feeding dry. :anon:

They do go through growth spurts, so that pot belly will most likely "lean out" at some point. But basically, at this point I wouldn't worry about them eating less... I suspect that around 9 - 10 months, you can start thinking about feeding them based on what looks like their adult weights are going to be. :dk:

Hopefully someone with a clue will come along. :lol3:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read from several different places that you have to (free) feed as much as they want until they are one year old. However, I really do not think that works, especially if you have a multi-cat household, with cats of different ages. I also think that the cats' appetite has much to do with the way they should be fed, meaning that if you have a voracious eater maybe it wouldn't be a great idea to satisfy his appetite.

There are many charts out there with how a cat's body should look like - if lean, too fat or too skinny, and I am trying to use those as guidelines. So basically, if they are too skinny, feed more, if they are too fat, feed less (that's pretty much taken from catinfo.org).

I have a 8.15 lbs 1 year and 4 months female who is a fussy picky eater.

I have a 8.80 lbs 9 months female who would eat anything.

And I have a 10.10 lbs 9 months old male who would eat anything and anyone, I am pretty sure he would devour an elephant if given one.

They are all on 3 meals a day, but I think they would all do better on 4 meals. However, I really can't do that at this time because of my schedule. They eat between 3.5 oz (the skinny one) and 5.5 oz the young ones, but I guess they have days when they eat more because  they have Sophie's leftovers, too. 

I do hope too that someone more experienced in kitten nutrition can provide more detail.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh this is the exact question I've been asking myself. Different sources say different things!

I took my 4 month old kitten to the vet the other day and asked if I should cut back on his food because he's a bit chubby with a pouch dangling. She told me not to worry about it and that he should be having a growth spurt soon. When I got him he was eating 10 ounces of food, now we're working down to 5 or 4 ounces. He gets fed three meals a day, raw only.