When can a cat get pregnant again?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have some outside/feral cats. One has kittens that are 12 weeks old. I noticed an intact male hanging around momma cat today. She was not receptive to him. I've had a couple of other cats who had a litter of kittens and were still nursing them even at 5 months. I got them into a low cost spay clinic and neither one of them was pregnant. I'm wondering if this current one is coming into heat. Our low cost clinic has been shut down due to covid-19. They were just starting up as of last week. Only those whose appts were cancelled are being scheduled right now. New appts will probably be in Aug or possibly July. This cat is still nursing her babies. So could she be in heat already?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat can come into heat and become pregnant again almost immediately after birth. I've had several cats that would come into heat 6 weeks after birth while still nursing their kittens (even if the kittens are not eating solids yet), but it can happen even earlier than that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would try for a July appointment if they are opening up....call now if that makes sense and see if they can schedule your momma cat. You are always on a slippery slope with a cat becoming pregnant right after giving birth.