What's Wally?

ciaostacia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! We adopted Wally and his brother (from a different mother), Ollie. Ollie is a pretty easy orange tabby American Shorthair, but we've been trying to figure out for awhile now what Wally is. So far we're thinking Lynx Point Siamese, but that's just based on a bunch of searches. Any thoughts?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes and no. The colorouring and the pattern, sure to both, these are their patterns. 

But to the question, what breed? 97% of cats are no particular breed. They are domestic. And if you

dont have suitable certificates, or at least, solid proofs, they are no breed.

What we can talk about is what look alikes they are, just for the fun of it, as a pure pastime.

So Ollie should be look alike an American Shorthair.   (American Shorthair, like European, is not another way to say "peasant cat" or "common moggie", it is a breed, although the base and ancestors of the breed are the cats who are otherwise known as "peasant cats". At least here in Sweden and Europe.   :)

Wally is a noble beuty. Does he have thus a proven nobelity?  Nay, not sure, with colorpoint there is a interesting trick of the nature.

Take two random cats. Moggies or purebred, say purebred Russian Blue.  If they both happen to be carriers of the point gene and do mate, voilá!  In the litter we get one or two pointed kittens!  In the RB case they will be look alike a siamese old type.

My guess your Wally is such a random coincidence, prob from moggie parents, giving as a result a beautiful color point, look alike a old type siamese.  Or if you want, the Thai  - which is the modern continuation of the old type siamese.

Modern siameses are very slender, long prolonged muzzle, big ears...

Congrats to such a beautiful new friends!

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, Wally is a beauty! 

The colorpoint pattern eventually goes back to some Siamese ancestors but it is very hard to say how distant they were... it can be passed down for many generations.

Wally does have enough of a look of the old type of Siamese that one might be justified calling him a Siamese mix.  or anyway, as Stefan said,  a   Siamese   ( or Thai) lookalike.   the face and eyes are similar.  It's hard to see body type for sure with him lying down. 

In most the photos I think his pattern looks like Blue Lynx Point  ( aka Blue Tabby Point).   but just to make sure , I will tell you that if his darkest markings  are black, he would be Seal Lynx Point.  If the darkest markings are dark grey,  he's Blue Lynx Point. 

I am really loving the look of your Wally.