Whats Up With My New Kitty?

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I adopted the sweetest 1.5 year old male rescue kitty on Monday. We started him off in a safe room for the first couple days and he became super comfortable very fast (eating, using litter box, cuddling, etc.) so we started to let him explore the rest of the place bit by bit. He was doing great, always out of his room poking around until this morning. Now he seems super scared to leave his room and wont even chase his favourite toy outside of his room. He has gone from laying in the middle of the floor stretched out to hiding behind the door and boxes in his safe room.

The only thing I can think of is that since Monday, my boyfriend has been at work 7-330 and I have been home alone paying with him most of the day.. and now its Saturday and my boyfriend is off work and around much more. Perhaps this is throwing off his routine and doesn't quite know how to act? Anyone have some insight? I know its only been 5 days but this behaviour is just complete opposite to how he has been since we got him Monday.

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give him a bit more time to adjust to the changes in routine through the week/weekend cycle. I'd back off trying to encourage him out of the safe room and instead give him time to readjust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give him a bit more time to adjust to the changes in routine through the week/weekend cycle. I'd back off trying to encourage him out of the safe room and instead give him time to readjust.
Would you suggest keeping him in the safe room with door closed then? or just leave the door open and let him come and go as he pleases (ie dont bring his toys out to play in the living room)?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd leave the door partway opened, so he feels secure, but has the option of coming out. It could be something as insignificant (to us) as a sudden noise outside that set him back a bit. This is often a "two steps forward, one step back" process, with little bumps in the road along the way.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When they are new to an environment, the smallest thing can freak a cat out and make them anxious. This could be people coming or going or something as small as the sound of a slamming door. Whatever it was, he will figure out shortly that he is still safe and come out. In the meantime give him his space. If he is afraid to leave the room make sure he has a litterbox in with him. I would put the food and water just outside his door so he has to be a little brave to get it. If he isn’t eating by morning though you may need to move it into his room.

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would leave the door cracked (or even go back to closed for a few days and then move to cracked and then to open and so forth) and I would definitely leave his toys in the safe room until he is much more comfortable. One week is still very early for a cat adjusting to a new home-- some need a couple weeks in a safe room. And I've always kept my new ones in their safe room when I'm not home for at least a month (sometimes more, depending on the cat).

Keep us posted on how things go--but I'm confident once he gets a little bit of security back, he'll build back confidence and become comfortable again!

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This afternoon was a better and he was out exploring a bit again.. so hopefully he just had a moment. But, I will for sure be keeping his toys in his safe room until he is ready to bring them out himself!

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agreed what the other members said above. Maybe he heard something before that morning and that startled him. Or maybe it is your boyfriend. Is there any stray cat or animal around your house at night? If you suspect that it is your boyfriend, then you have to help him get used to your boyfriend. For example, play with him and feed him when he is present in the same room. Do this for a few days. When he shows no signs of stress, you can have your boyfriend do this instead. Once he knows that your boyfriend is the one who plays and feeds him, he won't be anxious. Also, you can install pheromones around the home, it will help him relax.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took in my 2 cats they were the same way, they had to get used to each person in the house. I think that's what happened, your boyfriend was at work, but now when he's home all day, kitty has to get used to him. It will happen, don't worry. :)

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agreed what the other members said above. Maybe he heard something before that morning and that startled him. Or maybe it is your boyfriend. Is there any stray cat or animal around your house at night? If you suspect that it is your boyfriend, then you have to help him get used to your boyfriend. For example, play with him and feed him when he is present in the same room. Do this for a few days. When he shows no signs of stress, you can have your boyfriend do this instead. Once he knows that your boyfriend is the one who plays and feeds him, he won't be anxious. Also, you can install pheromones around the home, it will help him relax.
Thanks! I am not quite sure if its my boyfriend, or my boyfriend and I together that is frightening him.. he gets alot great with my boyfriend when I am not here.. but then when I am here he seems a bit scared of my boyfriend! I think just more playing together with the three of us in his safe room is my goal so he gets more comfortable!

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they are new to an environment, the smallest thing can freak a cat out and make them anxious. This could be people coming or going or something as small as the sound of a slamming door. Whatever it was, he will figure out shortly that he is still safe and come out. In the meantime give him his space. If he is afraid to leave the room make sure he has a litterbox in with him. I would put the food and water just outside his door so he has to be a little brave to get it. If he isn’t eating by morning though you may need to move it into his room.
do you know how long it takes for a kitty to get use to all the noises? It seems he jumps at the silliest noises like my boyfriend shuffling himself on the couch or cheering at a hockey game.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you know how long it takes for a kitty to get use to all the noises? It seems he jumps at the silliest noises like my boyfriend shuffling himself on the couch or cheering at a hockey game.
I think you should desensitize him with noise graduately. My cats used to be scared of everything.... especially loud noise. Since they became indoor/outdoor cats, they are more immuned to loud noise. Of course I don't mean that you should allow him to go outside, just try to make noise regularly (not too loud at first) and give him some treats at the same time when he doesn't show any signs of aggression. After a while, you can increase the noise level, and continue to reinforce him when he is doing well. Eventually, he will get used to loud noise.

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you should desensitize him with noise graduately. My cats used to be scared of everything.... especially loud noise. Since they became indoor/outdoor cats, they are more immuned to loud noise. Of course I don't mean that you should allow him to go outside, just try to make noise regularly (not too loud at first) and give him some treats at the same time when he doesn't show any signs of aggression. After a while, you can increase the noise level, and continue to reinforce him when he is doing well. Eventually, he will get used to loud noise.
Thanks! I have been trying to do this by playing Christmas music all the time. He seems to HATE the TV noise but is warming up to the music at least.. so hopefully he will get used to the TV soon so he can join us on the couch :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Six months from now, if you go back over this thread, you will wonder what all of the upheaval was about...that said, we NEVER complain about helping people who love their cats! Stick around, read, join in, ask lots of questions. Enjoy the Site, and your KITTEH!