What's on your Mind - Food edition

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think we could use on of these for random food thoughts. :)

Have anyone had the gasket of their instant pot really smell after cooking something strong? I had read that it can happen so I had an extra gasket. I made a tortilla soup that was very strong. I then made steel cut oatmeal for myself and it tasted like pepper and onions. :cringe: I switched the gaskets and have sent the other one through the dishwasher a few times and it has improved but still smells a bit.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Good idea for a thread, and yes! I have one that pretty permanently smells like cumin. I use that spice a lot when I cook beans in the IP. I wasn’t able to fully get the smell out, either, so I just remember the red gasket is for food with cumin, onions, garlic, etc. and the white one is for yogurt, oatmeal, and non-spicy cooking. :dunno:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to start cooking healthier and losing weight, but recipes that sound good to me don't sound good to my husband and vice-versa. And the three year old has gotten stupid picky. And while the 9 month old will eat anything, but some of the recipes I have that both husband and I will eat use honey in the cooking, and she can't have that.

I'm just tired of food.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to start cooking healthier and losing weight, but recipes that sound good to me don't sound good to my husband and vice-versa. And the three year old has gotten stupid picky. And while the 9 month old will eat anything, but some of the recipes I have that both husband and I will eat use honey in the cooking, and she can't have that.

I'm just tired of food.
You sound like me. It's like I am bored with everything that I can think of it. Isn't honey okay after a baby turns one? That isn't too much longer.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound like me. It's like I am bored with everything that I can think of it. Isn't honey okay after a baby turns one? That isn't too much longer.
Yes, only a few more months and honey will be okay. That will definitely help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes I'll try something new with no particular heads-up warning, like making a dish that I know he hates, in a different way than it's typically made.

Turns out he now loves oven roasted carrots lol.

However, oven roasted pinto beans --with the thought, (according to the description of the end result that they'd be a little crispy on the outside), that we could replace potato chips for a snack, definitely didn't fly :(. Eh well. The chips are gone anyway.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like so many kitchen items, I stopped using my Instant Pot. It isn't the brand name, but I bought it because it does sous vide. The one feature I have never tried. :rolleyes2:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes I'll try something new with no particular heads-up warning, like making a dish that I know he hates, in a different way than it's typically made.

However, oven roasted pinto beans --with the thought, (according to the description of the end result that they'd be a little crispy on the outside), that we could replace potato chips for a snack, definitely didn't fly :(. Eh well. The chips are gone anyway.
I have so many recipes I omit and substitute things for.
I tried making kale chips once, people were raving they were just like potato chips. I'm not a picky person and I do like vegetables, but those were NOT for me.
I've bought a lot of boxed things from the store that were stale lately, despite not being expired. I'm burnt out on grocery shopping. I've been visiting a little butcher shop every week or two and buying meat, milk, a handful of vegetables, and ice cream (:yummy: ) there. I've come to the conclusion if I want crackers or cookies, I'll make them myself and save some money.
I cannot wait to get my vegetable garden in. I got a new canning set for Christmas I'm itching to take for a test drive!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

try roasting chick peas. they are so good

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my forum! I LOVE eating food, but I must say am lacking in the cooking department…lol. I do make a flourless chocolate bean cake (allergies), and nobody can tell there are beans in it! (Black beans by the way)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is my forum! I LOVE eating food, but I must say am lacking in the cooking department…lol. I do make a flourless chocolate bean cake (allergies), and nobody can tell there are beans in it! (Black beans by the way)
That sounds really good! I've made brownies with almond (flour) before, and sour cream, and they are IMO much better than the "regular" version :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to this little store that carries all kinds of international snacks. Here's some of the haul.
20240130_203245.jpg

I also got my husband some seaweed puffs and wasabi chips and J these heart shaped marshmallow candies she insisted on (she also asked for a lollipop that was covered in chili powder. I told her no to that one. :lol: )

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I watch Sugar Rush, it occurs to me I could never be a judge on a baking/dessert show because clearly the thing is to complain about the desserts being too sweet.

...Which I thought was the point of desserts.