Whats my cat breed???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Righty is no cat, its really a dog, a pomeranian I think.    :)

Lefty.  Lefty has apparently much of persian. but probably not purebred.

Hermione in the Potter series, has such a like - I heard speculated on a mix persian with a british.

Last edited:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat is definitely a pet grade Persian or heavily Persian-mixed. That face is a doll face, a more moderate and "old school" version of the Persian face. My Kepler was a purebred but not high-grade Persian with a doll face. That's actually a healthier face for a cat than the extreme Peke face you see now.. There isn't the high degree of sinus and jaw distortion that you see with the Peke faces. These doll faced cats are better able to breathe and they're not as touchy an anesthesia risk as the short-muzzled Peke faces. Personally, I love doll faced cats (no offense to our VERY flat-faced Tara!)

Doll face... this is Kepler:

Peke face... this is Tara

Notice the positioning of the nose in relation to the eyes. Kepler's nose is much lower than Tara's, and her muzzle is longer (though still fairly short). Notice Tara's "snub break", the way the bridge of her nose is creased even with her eyes. This is a very flat Peke face. She is a higher grade, like breeder grade but we had her spayed... with a very impressive pedigree. Look at the mouth shape too. Tara is much more V shaped. That is a change in the actual jaw shape! See the difference? Any wonder why Tara is snuffly so often and has runny eyes?

Doll face Persians rock!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should clarify that some people consider "doll face" to be a backyard breeder term. It isn't an "official" description, just a general nickname for this type of Persian face. It's often used to describe the more "open" face like Kepler had and your kitty has. But it's not a formal "cat fancy" term, and you certainly won't find it in any CFA description of the Persian breed. I happen to like the term, myself. It's descriptive, nothing more. 

However, there has been a push to recognize the "traditional" Persian as its own breed class, under various names besides "Persian", which now covers the flat-faced and rounded-head description. Here's a Wiki article about the Traditional Persian. (Note that this is Wikipedia,so take the info with a grain of salt and use it only as a starting point or for basic info)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Persian

Last edited: