What to do with extra cat stuff?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I cleaned out my storage and realized how much extra in good condition stuff my spoiled kitty has. A cat scratcher cube, cat scratcher triangle, cat scratcher goose, large flat cat bed, square cat bed with edges, small kitten sized cat tunnel, soft crate and a large long cat tunnel. Any idea on what I should do with it? Where I should donate it? I’m in CA, USA if it makes a difference.

& yes I bought my spoiled boy a birthday scratcher house. I will still buy him a Halloween & Christmas scratcher. I still have last years Christmas scratcher house but he loves it so much I’m keeping it unit it wears out. I just might stick them in the recycle bin when the season is over.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hesitated on the shelter idea because they have to sterilize everything (even though my cat is disease free & vaccinated.) The plastic & cloth they can sterilize. I don’t think they can sterilize the cardboard.
I would call them and whatever they can't sanitize ask if a foster would take it
If not, then the next step i would take would be like a fb marketplace listing you can give it away free or sell it.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often search Craigslist for cat items, because we have friends who rescue strays and help ferals, so it wouldn't be a waste to list your extra items there too!
I second this. Craigslist has a "free" section that I know, for a fact, many people search.

I've donated extra cat food to my vet, who accepts such donations, but I once got rid of a cat tree via Craigslist. I posted it on the free section, and got tons of replies really quickly.

If you are wary of Craigslist, you can always meet people in a public place. That's what I always do. But in the vast majority of cases, everyone has been perfectly nice and just wants to finish the transaction. The worst I've ever experienced was people not showing up when they say they will.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vet knows me and my cats quite well as does a good friend of mine who owns our local no kill cat shelter so both places will take my hand me downs -& even opened bags of cat food etc....it's not usual practice because as you mentioned" sterilization/sanitizing".... So " who do you know?" Groomers,vets, clinics,shelters or a local GoodWill?

I have a friend who works at the GoodWill thrift shop- she once asked me if I had any used pet supplies that I no longer wanted and told me people often inquire about 2nd hand pet supplies....I gave them a big cat tree they sold for $10 that undoubtedly made some kitties very happy and a pet parent on a tight budget....I had tons of dishes & bowls as well,they were thrilled ... Just a thought

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually post it on my local Buy Nothing group.
There's a girl who fosters cats there who frequently takes the items. (She fosters for the same rescue Magnus and Calcifer are from)

But there's a few other people who have taken the items my cats no longer use too.

Shelters can't take open food here...so if my boys decide they don't like a dry food that's helpful too..