What to do if...?

gryphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey again, everyone.
I think I just had the biggest scare of my cat-mommy life.

If anyones taken a look at the weather channel lately, you'll know about the nasty storms in Ohio, Indianna, and Kentucky. So far, they've all spawned tornados, and those in Ohio were a scant few miles away. I've been through super cell storms before, but this was my first one with Khaos in the house, and I had no idea what to do for him. We don't have a basement, but we do have a small furnace room with no windows. Unfortunatly, the pilot light frightens both pets. I did manage to get Khaos in his kitty carrier, but he wasn't in any way happy about it. Thank the powers that be, that nothing else was nessisary.

What should I do next time?

Still dripping rain,
Gryphon

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my that is scary!!!! I know first hand about the awful tornados..living in Iowa, we have alot of them. I have seen whole houses completely wiped out and the one right next to it still standing...it is odd. Very scary!! We have a basement, so we can just go there. I'm not sure what to tell you to do, since you don't have a basement, but maybe someone else will have some good advice for you...it must have been so scary for the cats as well! But even if they don't like going in the furnace room, it is much better than leaving to fend for themselves, I would think. Maybe someone will have some good advice! I'm glad you and all your cats made it through the storm and are alright!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gryphon,

Here is website that might help. I have never been in a tornado so I cannot advise what to do. I would think the cats would know beforehand it was coming and the survival aspect would kick in. I know my horses know when there is a bad storm in the wind way before it gets here. How very scary for you! Hugs ((((((())))))))

Storm Preparation

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
I know first hand about the awful tornados..living in Iowa, we have alot of them. I have seen whole houses completely wiped out and the one right next to it still standing...it is odd. Very scary!!
I have seen varying degrees of damage caused by tornadoes first hand too. I'm not positive, but I think the amount of damage a house receives depends on whether or not any windows were left open and whether or not the air pressure inside is equal to the air pressure outside when the tornado actually hits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gryphon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heh...showing my hippie roots there.
But, four dead, w/ one in the hospital was the last total I heard. Apparently the one nearest to me was considered F4. Yeah, like on Twister...
We even got to be on CNN today.

Thanks for the link Hissy! Very helpful. ^^ **huggles for everyone for their concern**

Matta ne!
Gryphon

nenners

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My best advice is to put them in a closet on the bottom most floor of your house. At least they won't be hit by flying glass ect. Bathrooms without windows are also an option? This is just a guess but it would be where I would go.