What The Hell Is Prince Doing To Nikita?

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I thought it was play most of the time, and I know one instance we discussed was his showing dominance but still, I can't figure out if they're playing or not when they're running around and chasing each other. Note, they're both fixied

Every single time they start running around, Prince is usually the instigator. Even when they're not already in a playful mood, I mean when Nikita is just simply laying down or walking by, Prince goes after her. He doesn't look like he's attacking her, and her ears don't go flat nor does it look like she's defending herself, unless she's just simply laying down and it looks like she doesn't like it. When that happens, he pins her down, once pinned he starts licking her and honestly it looks like he's trying to mount her or mate with her or something.

Whenever he's sitting down and I'm petting him, if she walks by, he stops letting me pet him and starts watching her as if ready to start chasing. Sometimes she'll chase him back, and that's when I know they're playing, but when she doesn't chase him back or just lays down and he moves away either by my distraction or interest in something else and she doesn't pursue him, I'm left wondering about it.

Otherwise, they tend to be best of friends, grooming each other from time to time and whatnot, but I'm still very confused. If Prince IS bullying her or trying to do something else, what can I do? If they can't live together without him constantly going after her and potentially causing her to bottle up and be shy/timid (which I think is what is going on with her), then I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't want to give up either of them, I love them both, so I'm a little scared Prince's behavior won't stop.

But when I brought Nikita home, both of their personalities seemed to change. At least Prince's did. He still sleeps on the bed from time to time, but never at my chest like he used to. He NEVER climbs in my lap when I'm sitting on the couch anymore (he only did this once, just a couple days ago when he randomly started kneading my stomach and curled up in my lap after he'd been laying on the floor for a few hours). I can't get him to purr anymore when petting him, I can't even get to pet him for as long as I used to because the minute Nikita walks up (usually wanting attention to) his interest suddenly shifts to her.

Our dynamic changed completely once Nikita entered our lives, but he's still the more lovable one while Nikita seems to have stopped being a "lap cat" and become more independant...but like I said, I think Prince's behavior has caused her to start to become shy, even though she's not hiding or showing signs of anxiety or fear when he's around

I'm at my wits end here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And actually, now that I think about it, you see my profile picture. I haven't seen them together like that or cuddling together in a while (they may do so when I'm at work though, so I wouldn't know).

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And now that I think about it, I almost wonder if the ear mite treatment changed Nikita's behavior too. When I first got her she was that lap cat who now doesn't even come to my lap and seems to walk away when I pet her, unless she's laying down....but when I first got her, the vet found ear mites, so I constantly had to pick her up and give her the ear drops, and she could never stand when I scratched around her ears then.....so is it my fault?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Fault" doesn't come into it, and if she is shy of you because of that, time will probably fix the issue.

As for Prince, he may be trying to mount her. Even neutered cats can display mating behavior, and it is not always associated with dominance. So long as they are both OK with it, I wouldn't worry. It may be disconcerting, but it isn't harming anything besides human sensibilities, and there's no danger of kittens.

Cats can go through personality changes at different stages of life. Mine has gone through SEVERAL. Right now we're at a lovey-dovey stage, but I know that could change again. I certainly hope not, but I know it could. It's rough when your snugglebugs suddenly get an independent streak, but...just keep loving them on their own terms, which is, when you think of it, the healthiest way to love anyone!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True. I'm not really sure if she is shy of me or not because as discussed in other threads, she follows me around everywhere and want to be nearby.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now that I think about it, I almost wonder if the ear mite treatment changed Nikita's behavior too. When I first got her she was that lap cat who now doesn't even come to my lap and seems to walk away when I pet her, unless she's laying down....but when I first got her, the vet found ear mites, so I constantly had to pick her up and give her the ear drops, and she could never stand when I scratched around her ears then.....so is it my fault?
I wouldn't worry about the ear mite treatment. It was/is necessary for her health, no different than tugging on the hand of a wailing 6 year old into the dentists office...they don't love us for it, but it's for their own good and sometimes we gotta be the "bad guy."
If she went from a lap cat and now has decided being more independent is her thing, that could very well mean you've done excellent in making her feel secure. She's secure and doesn't need to be near you/in your lap all the time and is confident enough to enjoy "her" house. A good thing =)

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don' know that I would say a lap cat is an insecure one, but as I said, Nikita does still follow me around the house as Prince does and is always nearby. People here have said that' good because it means she wants to be around me. She just doesn't like being picked up or handled at all, and usually let's me pet her when she isn't mobile

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
20180526_002350.jpg

Well then......

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha yeah, and for whatever reason they do love that end table. It's like one of their favorite spots to perch