What the heck is going on with Zola??

misskestrel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all!
Two months ago, I rescued another kitten from the feral cat colony near our house. She’s warmed up to people, and is an absolute doll. She’s definitely “my cat”, and also particularly enamored with her neutered brother (our only male cat), Simon. The funny thing is, he’s likely related to her as I found him almost two years ago near the same house where the feral colony gets food and shelter. (As an aside, I’ve given the house a written notice of my intent to involve the county if they don’t fix the colony that they are “helping”, and gave them a four month window to do so, as well as information about TNF programs and organizations to help them. I’ve never seen anyone actually at the house, but there are many food and water bowls out, and several dog houses set up for them for shelter.)

So, back to my girl: I have no idea what Zola’s breed(s) could be. Coloration-wise, she’s a dark brownish black, with lighter orange-brown around the base of her ears, with two little pure white patches: one between her front legs on her upper chest, and one down between her lower legs. Her eyes are more orange than yellow. I was thinking Bombay cat, due to the coat and eye combination. But in the last week and a half, she’s started to get random all white hairs on her!! I am 90% sure that it’s NOT a fever coat, as she is now around 3-4 months old, and it wasn’t there when I found her at around 2 months old.
She’s got a clean bill of health from her vet, and is on schedule with her vaccines. The white fur started to happened in between vaccines, which is why I mentioned it.
The vet has even wondered aloud if she has Bombay in her, but I have no clue. Especially since she’s started getting these random, all-white hairs!

Anyway, I’m excited to see what opinions people have about it!

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful, regardless of breed... my cat Crackhead has the same deal, white hairs showing in his black fur. He's not that old either, only three years or so, but he has white hairs randomly distributed throughout his coat, and more obvious white patches on his chest and belly. Here's a pic of Crackhead:

IMG_5920.JPG

Well, Tiger's in the photo too... but you can see some of those random white hairs in Crackhead's coat. Meh, they don't bother the cat, so I'm not gonna worry about 'em. He's certainly a happy & healthy cat, despite a minor facial deformity and snaggletooth... round here, we judge cats by their character, not their appearance, and Crackhead is quite the cool cat!!! :coolcat:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a super cute domestic shorthaired black cat. Bombays are not a common breed and the majority of cats in the world are of no particular breed ancestry or mix. So there is little to no chance she is Bombay. She is adorable though!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute little kitty! I would also describe her as a black domestic shorthair. Small white lockets, belly spots, and scattered white hairs are often seen on solid colored cats. It's also not unusual for black cats to have some brownish areas, especially as kittens.

Bombay cats are very rare, and have shorter, broader bodies and rounder heads than your kitty. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixtures of breeds (unlike dogs).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskestrel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! This is absolutely perfect! She’s my baby girl! Beautiful no matter what her lineage.