What should I name my kitten?

EmmyMartin234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning. I will be getting a kitten in about a month. The kitten will be all black. I am having the most difficult time deciding on a name. I don't know yet if I will be getting a male or a female. This weekend I will be going to pick one out.

I was just wondering if there are any guidelines I should take into consideration when naming my kitten. I know obviously not to choose anything inappropriate or offensive (not that I would even consider such a thing). Is there a certain number of symbols I should stick to? Are there certain ending sounds that kittens/cats response to better? For example I read that they respond to names ending in ee sounds better. Such as Poppy, Stormy, Frankie, Sammy, ect.

For a female kitten, I love the name Jupiter but I don't know if that is too complex of a name for the kitten to understand. For a male kitten I love the Cosmo, but again I don't know if that is too complex.

Here are my top choices for a female
- Poppy
- Autumn
- River
- Jupiter
- Moona (moo-na)
- Stormy
- Meadow
- Iris

Here are my top choices for a male
- Sammy
- Roomy
- Frankie
- Casper
- Cosmo
- Ever

Any input and comments would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jupiter sounds very male. Venus or Athena are good female alternatives.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually wait to find out what their names will be,something happens or someone makes a comment,they remind me of something or they look like a " so & so" etc....personally I've always given cats actual names & not inanimate type titles for names---- so I like LuLu and I like Frankie alot because my "Cheech" rip,was named Frankie( Cheech is a NY Italian nickname for Frank)
Maybe you could let him/her help you decide 😻

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
And Congrats on your little baby Blessing and a warm welcome to TCS . Great to meet you

Please post photos when you pick up baby,we just looove photos!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wait, they are coming home in a few weeks and a breeder can't figure out the sex of them? It's not that difficult to sex kittens generally, every breeder I follow posts almost immediately after birth with the sexes and if they are coming home in a few weeks they should definitely be able to tell so that has me pretty concerned about the quality of care these kittens are receiving. TICA recommends kittens leave about 12-14 weeks. Is this a kitten you are buying from an actual cat breeder or a backyard breeder-just someone that let their cat irresponsibly give birth?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the International Cat Association goingpostal goingpostal is referring to . It's for the registry of purebred cats,an Association for recognized certified International Breeds..... just FYI

So when were the Itty bitty kitties born?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another warm welcome to TCS! :wave3: I like Stormy because it can be either male or female.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't call them anything you would be embarrassed yelling out when calling them. We had Yorkie and called him Stanley. His registered name was Pretty Boy Blue. I could not imagine standing outside and yelling, "Pretty Boy, come here!"
I love the name Cosmo, they learn no matter what you call them. Each one of my cats separately turns their head and looks at me when I say their name.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not think there are any 'rules' with regards to naming a kitty. I did read that cats respond better to names ending in the "ee" sound.

My first cat, as a child was BoBo. She knew her name. Then we had Pumpkin, she also learned her name. Then I adopted Artie--- that was his given name for 8 years, so I stayed with it. It kind of fit him.
Now I have Geoffrey. His original name was "Goofy"-- nope, no way would I call anyone Goofy..
I stayed with the G. Geoffrey knows his name, also Jeffie, Baby, BoBo, etc....

I would stay away from any name you do not feel comfortable in saying for many years, and associating with a cat.

I love your choices of names! Especially Autumn, Meadow, River, Sammy, Frankie, Casper and Cosmo...

When you meet your baby, you will know... it will just, "click'...

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whatever you name your kitten, count on calling your kitten many things other than the official name (terms of endearment may shorten to a single syllable or add whole words or phrases to the name), so anything on the lists above would be fine (you'll probably find yourself settling more easily on one when you're dealing with the actual kitten rather than the anticipation of the kitten). Though I do agree that Jupiter seems more male than female.

As it happens, only one of my cats has a 3-syllable name, everyone else has/had 2-syllables. I think that's mostly coincidence--for example, one of mine is named TV (she is black and white) and was likely the runt of the litter (she is still quite small--Jemmy and Leo, my former ferals, grew bigger than she is at around 8 months)--so she quite often is called "Little Miss" or "Teeny Tiny Little Miss TV". Cosette becomes Cosy or Cosy Cat, or Cosettles (Co-settles). I don't know why. It just seems to happen.