What kind of cat, is my cat

stevarino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm just wondering what kind of cat my little Claude is. I think his mother is a British short haired cat but I'm not 100% sure on it and as the owner of the mother does not know who the father is I thought it would be worth asking on here. The mother lives way out in the middle of nowhere in the Scottish highlands so the parents thought she was the only cat around but clearly not...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have no idea, but he's cute as a button!  Hoping someone with a little "breed" knowledge will be along shortly to help you out

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Since you don't know much about the cat's parents and don't have registration papers your cat would be considered a domestic shorthair. He is adorable though! I want to pinch his fuzzy cheeks! :love:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you don't know much about the cat's parents and don't have registration papers your cat would be considered a domestic shorthair. He is adorable though! I want to pinch his fuzzy cheeks!
His coloring and pattern is a buff tabby. He is adorable!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To me, he looks like a buff or red and white tabby domestic short hair and OH SO CUTE :love: and has a darling name!!! Congrats!!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen his mother and I am not sure if you mean you think she is a pedigreed British Shorthair,  or a cat who resembles that breed but without papers.   But it is likely that Claude is mostly descended from the sort of native British cats who were the foundation of that breed.  

Like the British Shorthair,  young Claude has a rather broad head , rounded cheeks and wide set ears.  He does appear to have a somewhat more defined muzzle than today's pedigree Brits .  but he's still a kitten so it's hard to know how he will end up.  He doesn't look as heavy boned or cobby as the British Shorthair show cats, but those are traits that have been exaggerated more via selective breeding ,  and his boning looks maybe medium-heavy anyway ( for a kitten ).  

Without knowing his ancestry , he would be classified as "Domestic Shorthair"  . or fondly called a moggy.  but  he may be a fairly pure version of Britain's main native race of cats. 

Officially (I mean by cat fancy terminology) his color would be described as Cream Tabby and White.  ( although the white is barely enough to even include it in the color/ pattern name  but if there is white on all of his feet , i think he would probably be classified  with "and White" added to his color.) .

Cream  ( which is often colloquially called "buff"  or "peach" ) is the dilute version of Red Tabby ( colloquially called "ginger" or "orange" )

And..... he is absolutely adorable! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevarino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much guys, that gives me more of an understanding of what type of cat he is.

I completely agree that he is absolutely adorable haha.