What kind of cat do you think I have?

snapple88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Jinxy. She is 12 years old. I'm not sure what breed she is. She has yellow eyes and calico colors. She was given to me by a friend who couldn't keep her anymore.

And this is Sammy. He has blue eyes and is the sweetest cat I've ever had! He is about 5 years old. He was found as a kitten, almost drowning in a puddle until I took him in. Not sure what kind of cat he is either?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jinxy  is a tortoiseshell (tortie) and white, longhaired domestic.

Sammy I think is a point, although the point not visible because of his masque.

Perhaps compare him with a mitted ragdoll...   (mitted means  and white - most ragdolls dont have white socks, but the mitted has).

Good luck!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not know about breeds, but I know your kitties are gorgeous!

I love calicos, however I have not seen many long haired calicos. Jinxy is a beauty!

Sammy is a very handsome boy!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Jinxy  is a tortoiseshell (tortie) and white, longhaired domestic.

Sammy I think is a point, although the point not visible because of his masque.

Perhaps compare him with a mitted ragdoll...   (mitted means  and white - most ragdolls dont have white socks, but the mitted has).

Good luck!
I agree with @StefanZ  ,inxy looks lkke a lovely tortie and white long hair cat - very pretty, I don't think I have seen one like him. 

Sammy's facial markings are incredibly like a Snowshoe and very pretty, but as they are short haired I think Stefan Z is correct in likening him mostly to a mitted Ragdoll.

They are both beautiful cats. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snapple88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I have heard people say that Sammy resembles the Ragdoll. He certainly has the sweet disposition that they are famous for! Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snapple88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the wonderful compliments on my furbabies! I love these kitties very much! They get lots of compliments from my neighbors. Lol. Just for the record, I also have a Mackeral Tabby and another baby calico, much like Jinxy but with shorter hair. Thanks for the insight into what breeds these two might be, I have been trying to find out for years. I asked the vet, but of course, they don't know for sure.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is always the reservation that, unlike dogs, cats are rarely a specific pedigree, and without the documentation showing heritage and registered pedigree with the cat fancy body for the country that you live then cats will not qualify as pedigree for any show or sale purpose.  This does not stop cats from looking just like the cats who have the pedigree 'family / genetic history' or indeed having the same personality.  Nor does it make them any less beautiful - quite the reverse possibly  for most cat lovers!

It sounds like you have a beautiful fur family there.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh how I wish I knew you before today! I know this isn't my post, but this is part of information I have been wanting to learn about.
I had no idea Calico and Torties were not a breed. I really thought they were.

I think it is always the reservation that, unlike dogs, cats are rarely a specific pedigree, and without the documentation showing heritage and registered pedigree with the cat fancy body for the country that you live then cats will not qualify as pedigree for any show or sale purpose.  This does not stop cats from looking just like the cats who have the pedigree 'family / genetic history' or indeed having the same personality.  Nor does it make them any less beautiful - quite the reverse possibly  for most cat lovers!

It sounds like you have a beautiful fur family there.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how I wish I knew you before today! I know this isn't my post, but this is part of information I have been wanting to learn about.
I had no idea Calico and Torties were not a breed. I really thought they were.
   I always think the most important things are knowing that you and your cat are compatible and want to share space, and how healthy they are (or not).   However, in loving our cats and being keen to tell everyone else how wonderful and gorgeous they are, we want to describe them.  When there are words that help us to do this we want to know what they are.  
     I think a lot of people use 'breed' more like it is used with dogs, to describe features, however things like coat colours and patterns can occur in cats with completely different genetic backgrounds.  It is unusual for a coat patern to be unique to a specific breed (cat of specific heritage with written documentation of this, and features meeting the country's cat fancy governing body criteria).   Calico or tortoiseshell coat patern can occur in many specific breeds of cats as well as the general cat population as it is the result of a naturally occuring genetic code.  A wonderful example of the beauty and complexity of nature.

sophie79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jinxy is a domestic longhair - calico.

Sammy is a bi-colour mitted ragdoll or a himalayan crossed with a ragdoll...but bi-colour for sure. Google 'mink point bi-colour ragdoll' and see if you can find a lookalike!

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you tell me the difference between a Calico and a Tortie?

I have learned so much. I thought I knew some of the stuff but I am finding out more information or perhaps learned something wrong or read it wrong.

I have been back reading today.
Calico or tortoiseshell coat patern can occur in many specific breeds of cats as well as the general cat population as it is the result of a naturally occuring genetic code.  A wonderful example of the beauty and complexity of nature.

sophie79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe the only difference between a calico and a tortie is that a calico has to have white and a tortie does not have white. I hope someone with full knowledge on the matter replies to this thread because I've often wondered that myself. Well I suppose I could google it too!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Calicos will have three colors, normally black, brown, and orange or white.  The colours are like patches rather than stripes around the body.  Tortoiseshells are usually black and orange mixed together like smaller patchesbut they do sometimes have bits of white.  Torbie is a cross between a Tortoiseshell and tabby cat color/markings.  In my experience people often mix up the descriptions, and I am sure I did for many years as had never heard of Calico until a couple of years back.  

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can you tell me the difference between a Calico and a Tortie?

I have learned so much. I thought I knew some of the stuff but I am finding out more information or perhaps learned something wrong or read it wrong.

I have been back reading today.
A tortie is red and black patches.

A tortie and white is most of the body is red and black patches and a SMALL amount of white

Now to be a Calico the cat must be a tortie and HIGH white. Meaning the cat must have more white colour than tortie patches.
Preferably a Calico should only have tortie patches ( black and red ) on their head, tail and some on their back along the spine the rest of the body is white

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I will bow to GemsGem's greater knowledge here:   I am sure her more detailed description is far more accurate than mine! 

@GemsGem- Any thoughts on Sammy?

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Wow... I am so excited to tell my husband. I really had no idea. I did about Toties but not Calicos. So Very cool!

A tortie is red and black patches.

A tortie and white is most of the body is red and black patches and a SMALL amount of white

Now to be a Calico the cat must be a tortie and HIGH white. Meaning the cat must have more white colour than tortie patches.
Preferably a Calico should only have tortie patches ( black and red ) on their head, tail and some on their back along the spine the rest of the body is white

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with @StefanZ
 ,inxy looks lkke a lovely tortie and white long hair cat - very pretty, I don't think I have seen one like him. :catguy:

Sammy's facial markings are incredibly like a Snowshoe and very pretty, but as they are short haired I think Stefan Z is correct in likening him mostly to a mitted Ragdoll.

They are both beautiful cats. 
I completely agree :D Sammy does look almost like a snowshoe except for the longhair. So I agree that mitted ragdoll would be the best description for him ;)

Last edited: