What is Hugo??

gc1909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my Kitten Hugo, I got him from a rescue centre. He was found alone at approx 10 weeks.
They seem to think he was Bengal with possibly Persian mix as he has some marble markings, and a super soft downy coat but some long hairs scattered throughout.
He is incredibky vical about everything and hos noises change all the time. He can go from sounding like a goat to dounding like roadrunner (meep meep).
He is now 4 months (estimate) and can leap from the floor to the top of the curtains in one bound.
Also the cuddliest cat I've ever owned, preffering to sleep under my chin whilst squeaking (the only way I can describe his noises) whilst also being the most playful, like a puppy. He plays with anything and seems to like 'fetch', keeping things in his mouth and carrying them into his bed.
I'd like to know peoples opinions as to what he is or originates from.
Either way he is the most wonderful cat I've ever known and I feel incredibly lucky to have him.
Thanks in advance.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a link that shows pictures of Tabby Cats. I would say he is a blotched or marbled tabby. probably a domestic. Others will chime in here.
Whatever he is, he is full of "cuteness,"

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A verrry verry nice and beautiful cat. He is longhair, or at least, mediumhair.  He is a classical tabby - also called for blotched or marbled,  as Blueyedgirl said. He must be counted as a domestic.

Does he have an Ancestor?   It may be so.  Having that clear marbles being longhaired, is very good marbles!  They would be striking on a shorthaired.  As they are on marbled bengals.

Can he be a mix a purebred bengal x longhaired cat   - nay.

Longhair gene is recessive.  It must come from both parents.   So both parents were if not longhaired, so at least, carriers of the longhair gene.

None of the parents could thus be a purebred bengal.

The earliest is a grandparent.  Probably a granddad.

Classial tabby is fairly dominant, so the children will tend to also be classic tabbies, unless the other parent is for example a mackerel tabby, which is even stronger.

But the typical  distinctive marbles of a purebred bengal will of course detoriate somewhat with every generation.  Similiar is btw with spotted bengals.

Its no coinidence bengals are purebred, it took lotsa work and generations to pure bred their wonderful distinctive markings!

So, its my guess he does has an Ancestor - may be bengal, probably a granddad.

Cross with a  persian?- I dont think so, the face has no tendenies to be flat.  Also, persians, although physically fully healthy, arent renown for being super agile and jumping champions...

Sooner it could be a smallish Maine Coon in the background.  These, although often biggish, are decently agile and strong.

Its never easy with mixes - they can per definition have almost any heritage.

But here you do have my two cents worth of my analysis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gc1909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you, he certainly is the most handsome cat.
I like having an idea of where he gets all his funny little characteristics from. He's like no cat I've ever known. I like to think he has the best parts of every cat.
His markings are becoming clearer the older he is getting and I can't wait to see what he is like when he is fully grown.
If he can jump this far when he is so young I am fearing for all of the local wildlife.
For now he will stray my fluffy tiger and will be spoilt with all the love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gc1909

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He also loves to have his belly stroked and stretches out as long as possible in order to get maximum strokage area!