What irrational thing is your cat afraid of?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As several others have mentioned, the vacuum cleaner, which I'm sure is very common. In fact, I wouldn't consider it an irrational fear, because it's so loud, and I can't imagine what it sounds like to cats, with their sensitive hearing.

However, I'm wondering if any of your cats react to it like mine. Willy is definitely afraid of it, but he doesn't hide from it at first. He actually seeks it out and attacks it.

When I start vacuuming, he always comes over from wherever he was resting, and cautiously creeps up to it. While keeping as much distance as possible, he whacks it a few times and then recoils. Then he repeats. He does this for the first 5 minutes or so, before eventually moving to another room in my apartment to hide.

It's like the vacuum is a monster that he feels he has to take initiative against and put down, for the good of all felines.
You need to make a video about that. None of my cats have ever attacked the vacuum cleaner. Once Byron swatted the hair dryer right out of my hand when I first took him in. I was giving him a bath and I wanted to dry him. After I never tried to dry his hair again that way.

I don’t consider any of my cat’s fears like that to be irrational, certainly not the vacuum cleaner cause that’s a loud scary thing. I always wonder about cats who let themselves be vacuumed. I wish I had a cat like that. My Tess was like that, so gentle and calm, she did not mind being bathed or dried with the hairdryer. The only thing she was afraid of was thunder.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
However, I'm wondering if any of your cats react to it like mine. Willy is definitely afraid of it, but he doesn't hide from it at first. He actually seeks it out and attacks it.

When I start vacuuming, he always comes over from wherever he was resting, and cautiously creeps up to it. While keeping as much distance as possible, he whacks it a few times and then recoils. Then he repeats. He does this for the first 5 minutes or so, before eventually moving to another room in my apartment to hide.

It's like the vacuum is a monster that he feels he has to take initiative against and put down, for the good of all felines.
Mingo isn't terrified of the vacuum either, but he doesn't attack it. He likes to sit in his cat tree and look down on it. He just watches warily.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG.. rain tapping at the windows and sound from fireworks across the river on the Esplanade a few hours later both caused her to stick to me like glue. Feliway helped tremendously last night!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Lola, is 11 and is a velcro cat who wants and needs attention as often as you are willing to provide it, with one rather odd exception. Every morning she demands water from the bathtub faucet but she absolutely will not drink if I am present. I have to leave the room so she can have her private drink and then remember to go back once she is done and turn the water off.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went onto the sun porch to check on kitty. There she was intently watching something on the window sill next to her bed....A Beetle! I whacked it and still she refused to get in the bed,but kept looking at the spot where it was. This is the cat I am planning to take outside for the first time soon? :think:

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My current cat is only scared of the vacuum cleaner.

My previous cat was scared of the vacuum and heavy storms with thunder. She'd hide whenever it stormed or thundered although she had always been an indoor cat since she was about 6 months old.