What Do I Do With My Feral Cat?

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cats escaped recently.. One is in a feral shelter because she got caught. But my other cat Batman (or B.M) has been around for at least 2 months and i don't know what to do. I put food out for him but i am afraid that raccoons eat it. He sits in a tree near my house but im afraid one day he will be dead. We live in a swamp with coyotes and foxes around.. Thank you for your help!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you access a cat trap? I don't blame you for worrying - this is so stressful. All the wild things probably have him scared beyond reason. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have tried capturing it... It just knows and doesn't go in it

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does he respond when you hang out near the tree? Are you able to spend much time near him, maybe sitting in a lawn chair reading a book? After 2 months, he is likely reverting back to feral.
Maybe you could try spritzing yourself and the chair with Feliway or another calming spray so he associates you with feeling good. I understand your desperation. :alright:

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If we get near him he runs away. I never thought of sitting near him. When he was in the house i would play wit him but now he is very scared of me.. Thank You for Helping though. I will try reading my book near him :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he ever come down from the tree to rest in the cool grass or under the bushes? if so, a drop trap might work. Some TNR groups have "trap depots" ~ maybe they would come help you.

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes He does... I'll try that. Is Very smart though. We will see what happens.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes:Sending prayers and vibes that you catch him soon! if you live near the woods, you can use human urine to mark territory. it is the language that canines, especially coyotes and wolves, recognize and respect. it sounds gross but it is an old-timer's trick that works. with the moon waxing full. now is the time, especially if you hear howling and tipping. Coyotes move about their territory, like a circuit, so they instinctively avoid over-hunting an area.

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. WIll anything else come?? Will it eat my poor cat? Thank You!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I appreciate your worry. Your cat, however, shows good survival skills by knowing how to go up a tree, where he will be safe from the biggest threats of coyotes, dogs, owls and cars. Keep trying to get him, keep establishing your territory and keep your faith up. The calmer that you are, the more secure he will feel. I have inside-outside cars who get skittish as soon as they get outside - it is very frustrating.
I am keeping up my prayers and vibes that he is recaptured soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I appreciate your worry. Your cat, however, shows good survival skills by knowing how to go up a tree, where he will be safe from the biggest threats of coyotes, dogs, owls and cars. Keep trying to get him, keep establishing your territory and keep your faith up. The calmer that you are, the more secure he will feel. I have inside-outside cats who get skittish as soon as they get outside - it is very frustrating.
I am keeping up my prayers and vibes that he is recaptured soon :vibes::vibes::vibes:
here is a great link for trapping advice:
Trapping Instructions

autumn_meowz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. Thank you so much! I will be calm. Would other cat urine atract anything?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try sitting far enough away at first to let him see you and see that you don't mean to harm him, maybe have some food there, he will probably smell it.
Might even want to eat something while your there yourself so he can see you eating.
Be patient and keep trying!