what do I do about my outdoor cat?

bbartscht

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat (Lily) who lived the first couple years of her life inside since I had an apartment. However, when I got a house with a fenced back yard I started letting her go out back, and everything was fine, except that after a while all she wanted was to be outside.

Then I met my future wife and moved in with her. Her oldest son (now 17) is very allergic to cats, as is her mom who lives out of state but comes down to visit from time to time. So the cat lives outside and pretty much just hangs out in the bushes either in our yard or in one of two houses nearby. She's 10 years old now, and current on her shots. I've never seen any earmites, worms, etc., so she seems to be handling the outdoors pretty well.

I live in west central Florida so its warm enough almost all year round for Lily to be comfortable outdoors, so I thought the status quo was going well enough. Birds have taken to eating out of her dish, and every so often we'll get a raccoon or possum that comes around at night, but the dog helps with those and there's never been any altercations.

A couple years ago we got a lab puppy who grew to 130 pounds and about 3 feet high at his withers. He loves the cat and has never chased her or barked or anything, and she tolerates him better than I thought she would.

This morning, though, my neighbor on the side of my house where I keep the cat food kind of let me have it (in as nice a way as she could, but I could tell she was really frustrated). They've had to put traps out and in the last 2 days caught one raccoon and one possum, so apparently those are around more than I thought.

I don't want bad relations with my neighbors, but I don't know how I can keep Lily indoors when my stepson is allergic to her and where she doesn't want to be at all. I don't want to give her away, and I can't imagine that I could find someone who can give her a place to live outside that wouldn't just create the same problems for someone else. And I certainly can't bear the thought of taking her to a shelter, cause at 10 years old I'm pretty sure I know what would happen to her. Could someone please give me some advice?

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you could just feed your cat twice a day, maybe with wet food instead of leaving it out? There has to be some way to resolve this, there is no way your neighbor could expect you to give up your cat, you have had her 10 years!!

Lady20

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to give her away, and I can't imagine that I could find someone who can give her a place to live outside that wouldn't just create the same problems for someone else. And I certainly can't bear the thought of taking her to a shelter, cause at 10 years old I'm pretty sure I know what would happen to her. Could someone please give me some advice?
I will admit, I'm not an advocate of having an outdoor only cat...unless it is a feral cat. Most cats do adjust to an indoor lifestyle and it is healthier for them. I would hope she is spayed and brough UTD on her shots every year.

Are you certain he is allergic to her?? I know many people who allow cats to be indoor/outdoor actually have family members who are more allergic to the grasses etc that the cat rolled in outdoors than the cat dander.

I would have a conversation with your neighbor...if it is only the food that is the issue, then I would leave her food out at certain times of the day and remove it after 30 minutes to an hour. If however, your neighbor has other concerns about your cat...you may want to consider a new home for her.

Katie

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you always pull the food up in the early evening before dusk then the raccoons and opossums will probably go in search elsewhere for food.

Is your yard fenced at all? Could you make an enclosure for the cat where she could not wander anywhere she wants and the wildlife could not get in?
If you could do something like that it would be a much safer place for Lily.

I hope you can work this out to keep your girl and the neighbor happy too.