What breed of cat has a "mane?"

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CharmedCats

Just curious but why is it almost impossible she could be a NFC or MC mix?
Because responsible breeders and pet owners don't let their breeding stock stray. That's why.

Also, my Persians have toe tufts.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Sam. My Buddy is definately a purebred alley cat. He is also a gray long hair and he has a ruff and toe tufts. My Asa is a purebred Birman and with the winter weather his ruff is developing too, and he has toe tufts as well. Alley cats have all breeds mixed in there somewhere because that is where most breeds come from. A cat just showed some striking feature and it was bred to similar cats or to its own children to isolate that feature until you get a whole breed. My Elfie has a cowlick on her back. I wonder if someday someone will find a cat with that and make a new breed that looks like those guinea pigs with the hair going everywhich way. But Elfie is not going to contribute her genes to the project, she seems to have left them at the vet last week.
Becky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmedcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was a stray transfer from another shelter, not from a breeder. And she is fixed : ) Thank you for all the ideas, I will post her as a DLH.

mjl1297

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately to this thread. When I saw that picture my first thought was Maine Coon but you say she is too small. She doesn't impress me as a Norwegian Forest Cat although she may be but that was No one has mentioned this breed but there is the possibility you may have a Nebelung on your hands-a long haired variety of the Russian Blue. They are a gorgeous, affectionate breed and tend to be somewhat docile even reserved but are very devoted to their family. It is a legitimate breed standard but not one you encounter frequently. It's just a guess but all the details you've provided concur with the breed's physical particulars and behavioural habits. She is a beauty by the way.

mjl1297

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mjl1297

Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately to this thread. When I saw that picture my first thought was Maine Coon but you say she is too small. She doesn't impress me as a Norwegian Forest Cat although she may be but that was No one has mentioned this breed but there is the possibility you may have a Nebelung on your hands-a long haired variety of the Russian Blue. They are a gorgeous, affectionate breed and tend to be somewhat docile even reserved but are very devoted to their family. It is a legitimate breed standard but not one you encounter frequently. It's just a guess but all the details you've provided concur with the breed's physical particulars and behavioural habits. She is a beauty by the way.
Sorry to post a reply to my own reply but I somehow missed the one on the Nebelung above. I do believe that is what she is. Apologize for the editing mishap prior to making my last post as well.

mjl1297

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm aware the breed is a rare one and I stand by the possibility that she could be one. I couldn't emphatically suggest that she is and neither for that matter can you insist that she isn't.

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to go out on a limb and say...that is your typical American mixed breed kitty cat. Meaning that something may have mixed in the line at some point, but the ruff isn't that abnormal. I have one cat that gets that ruff in the winter; he's a grey striped cat, so he looks a bit like a lion. Fortunately, he sheds it and becomes a DMH during the summer. And another always longhaired black cat of ours doesn't get a winter ruff, but he grows "pantaloons" on his hind legs. It's funny to see him walk around with all that excessive hair on him.

Just enjoy your kitty because he's awfully adorable, but don't worry about the breeding too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charmedcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all the help, she is very loving and a joy to have around, she is a foster cat the I think might end up on our permanent roster

She is tiny, she had a vet check and is a petite 5 lbs, I am interested to see if her ruff goes away in the summer!