What Breed is my little Mustache'd cat

scoop373

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious, if someone is able to help as to what my cat's breed may be. I adopted Winston, when someone dumped him in my office parking lot. I've had him for a year and a half now, and he's quite the character.

My research has suggested he might be a turkish van, but I am not certain if that is correct.  He can be a bit crazy, and flimsy (my father refers to him as the boneless cat). And he likes water, if I'm taking a bubble bath, he'll sit on the edge and play with the bubbles. Or if someone turns on a tap he's in the sink quick as bunny.

He's medium white haired, with some burnt orange spots, tail,  and the crown of his head. And he also has a mustache/goatee thing going on. His fur is also quite soft.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No breed, he's a red bi-colour domestic long hair.
I'd say red harlequin domestic longhair, but not sure if the 'harlequin' term is used outside of FIFé.

Gotta love that 'stache and how proudly he carries the look.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think Harlequin is used here, doesn't it mean bi-colour anyway?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's got a Van pattern - coloured tail & ears with a few other splodges of colour - but agree he's a domestic longhair, and a lovely cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's got a Van pattern - coloured tail & ears with a few other splodges of colour - but agree he's a domestic longhair, and a lovely cat.
Right. If you wish you can probably say Mustach is a little similiar to a Turkish Van.

But what he is, is a domestic.

With cats, the breed is NOT what they do look, but what their ancestry and papers "birth certificate" does tell.  Or at very least, good and solid proofs of this parentage in lack of papers.

So unless you do have solid proof  he got dumped by a TV owner - he is domestic...

98% of cats with this coloured pattern ARE domestic... Purebreds arent so common, even if pattern isnt that unique.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think Harlequin is used here, doesn't it mean bi-colour anyway?
Different amounts of white have different names in FIFé, van is pretty much the same as elsewhere, then there is harlequin which has a bit more color spots than van, then there's bicolor. If a cat's coat is more than 50% white, it's harlequin, less than that is bicolor. Of course there are more to it for show quality cats, but as I'm not into cats with white I'm not completely sure how it goes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That mustache and goatee is the cutest thing EVER! I love all his red patches and that Red Tail is magnificent! What a special boy! :heart3:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the Van pattern was just ears and tail? Or can it still be called "Van" if the kitty has a few spots?

(To clarify: "Turkish Van" is a cat breed; the Van pattern refers to the coat pattern that the Turkish Van has. So, a non-Turkish Van can still have a Van coat pattern, and many do.)

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK pedigree Van cats are allowed a few extra spots (not sure about other breeds where Van pattern occurs), and it seems the best description to me of that sort of pattern.