What breed is my kitten?

Aipolukhina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LittleSnape (4)~2.jpg View attachment LittleR3~2.jpgView attachment LittleSnape (5)~2.jpg

Hi all!

My kitten is about 4 months old. I think he might be a York Chocolate. His coloring is brownish and coat length is semi-long to long. Hard to tell yet. He does have long wispy light colored hairs on his ears, chest, legs (see pics) and belly. From behavioral and physical appearance descriptions of the breed he seems to fit. What do you think?

Arina

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As already mentioned in another thread the York Chocolate is not bred any longer (has not been in a decade plus some) and was never recognized by the major cat associations as a breed. It's just not possible.

Your boy is a solid black domestic cat probably longhair from what I can see in the photo - would be great to see his entire body. I see he has tabby markings on his forehead and his cheeks look lighter in tone, so would be interesting to get a better view of him.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is very pretty! I would describe him as a black domestic longhair.

The slight tabby markings appear to be "ghost markings" which are common in solid black kittens. It's also normal for black longhaired cats and kittens to have a brownish or grayish tone to their coat, rather than being solid black all over. Lighter brownish or grayish coat is often very apparent in certain areas of the coat such as the undercoat, belly, and ruff.

Most cats aren't any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs. He isn't a York Chocolate, as that breed doesn't exist any more. I know it can be confusing, because some people on the internet seem to think they have this breed, though. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about cat breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aipolukhina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten is very pretty! I would describe him as a black domestic longhair.

The slight tabby markings appear to be "ghost markings" which are common in solid black kittens. It's also normal for black longhaired cats and kittens to have a brownish or grayish tone to their coat, rather than being solid black all over. Lighter brownish or grayish coat is often very apparent in certain areas of the coat such as the undercoat, belly, and ruff.

Most cats aren't any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs. He isn't a York Chocolate, as that breed doesn't exist any more. I know it can be confusing, because some people on the internet seem to think they have this breed, though. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about cat breeds.
Thanks again!