What breed is my Kitten?

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry to bother you but im in a bit of a fickle because I cant understand what breed my kitten is as the petshop owner said shes a persian but I doubt that because her fur isnt that long and its fur is rabbit soft like a ragdolls. Some say shes a mix because she doesnt have the pure blue eyes of a ragdoll. Shes got greenish blue with a hint of brown eyes. Heres a picture of her if you can give your opinion ill be really grateful smile :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Im so sorry to bother you but im in a bit of a fickle because I cant understand what breed my kitten is as the petshop owner said shes a persian but I doubt that because her fur isnt that long and its fur is rabbit soft like a ragdolls. Some say shes a mix because she doesnt have the pure blue eyes of a ragdoll. Shes got greenish blue with a hint of brown eyes. Heres a picture of her if you can give your opinion ill be really grateful smile :)
wait, what shall it be you wish?  A persian or a ragdoll?  Or perhaps a himalayan persian, ie a pointed persian?

Anyways, she looks pretty young, so the bluish eyes may be natural baby blue...

Or, if she is supposed to be a point, they hadnt deepened yet properly... They often deepen in the adult color first as adults...

Pet shops are an unsure source, at best the kittens are healthy, but they are seldom high quality pure breds, IF they are purebreds.  Count on pet quality at best.

Most probably some nice mix....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you think its a mix of? 
Let me say again, her fur is rabbit soft literally soft as silk to the touch :p

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an adorable, precious little fur baby. I love the next to the last picture, the close up of her face. I just want to snuggle my face in her fur. Absolutely beautiful :nod:

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, yeah i decided so what if shes no breed, I still love her and shes just beautiful :*

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodness! Whatever the mix, she is gorgeous! I like the somewhat dilute orange coloration. Whatever she is, get her used to brushing, because mats can form awfully fast under those armpits and neck. BTDT

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much :3
yeah ikr? its like a dilute orange tabby. Yeah i brush her but how often should i?

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

wait, what shall it be you wish?  A persian or a ragdoll?  Or perhaps a himalayan persian, ie a pointed persian?

Or, if she is supposed to be a point, they hadnt deepened yet properly... They often deepen in the adult color first as adults...

Pet shops are an unsure source, at best the kittens are healthy, but they are seldom high quality pure breds, IF they are purebreds.  Count on pet quality at best.

What do you think its a mix of? 
Let me say again, her fur is rabbit soft literally soft as silk to the touch :p

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Goodness! Whatever the mix, she is gorgeous! I like the somewhat dilute orange coloration. Whatever she is, get her used to brushing, because mats can form awfully fast under those armpits and neck. BTDT
Thank you so much :3
yeah ikr? its like a dilute orange tabby. Yeah i brush her often :)

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an adorable, precious little fur baby. I love the next to the last picture, the close up of her face. I just want to snuggle my face in her fur. Absolutely beautiful
Aww ikr? thank you :)
, yeah i decided so what if shes no breed, I still love her and shes just beautiful :*

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am copying what I wrote in answer to your Private Message asking me to look at this kitten so others will be able to see it too.  I just love her color and will be curious to find out if she's a cameo tabby, which will be more obvious as she grows up.  She definitely looks like the "doll face" Persians of yesteryear, like the black neuter I used to have, named Otello.  He had big copper eyes and a face like hers.

I see you got plenty of answers already.  She is VERY beautiful and she looks like the Persians of my day used to be.  There is a movement in breeding circles to preserve that look, called the "Doll Faced" Persians.  The breed now looks nothing like that, they have very flat faces (Peke faced, like Pekingese dogs), no nose, no room for brains in my opinion, and not a breed that could survive on its own ass the coat would mat without constant care, and often the eyes run because the flat face has pinched off the tear ducts.  So in my opinion, you have a Persian cat of the 1960s "Doll Face" style.  Since you have no pedigree papers, it really doesn't matter as you are not going to breed her.

Her color is clearly a warm cream classic tabby.  The Classic Tabby has the wide stripes that form sort of a bulls eye over the sides, whereas the Mackerel Tabby has the skinny stripes that run down from the back rather like the markings of a mackerel fish, thus the name.

Cream is the dilute of red in cat color terminology.  She has rather tangerine colored stripes over a lighter cream body color.  What I don't know for sure is if she also has the "cameo" gene, which makes all the hairs basically white with color only on their tips.  It's not common but not rare either, just a red form of what the silvers have.  If you part her hair down to the kin even where the stripes are, is it completely white at the skin or do the stripes show themselves all the way down to the skin without having white roots?  If she is a cameo, then if she were shaved (don't do it) she would appear to be a white cat until she grew back her hair, but if she is a cream tabby, then the striping pattern would show even if she were shaved.  Don't shave her, but just part the hair and try to see.

If you google "cameo persian photo" you will see pictures of what modern day Persians look like in that color.

Here is a large web site that  INCLUDES the "Doll Face" Persians.  She has a lot of breeds represented and I think you will enjoy spending time visiting it.

http://dollfacepersiankittens.com/going-extinct/

http://dollfacepersiankittens.com/peek/

Your kitten has a less extreme face that these kittens but she would be considered a "pet quality" dollface Persian in my opinion.  As for color, time will tell, but she's definitely the dilute of red, which is Cream, and she has tabby markings, so I would call her a cream tabby dollface Persian if you need something to call her until we find out if she's a CAMEO cream tabby.  It will be fun to watch her grow.  You will need to get a metal comb for her long coat, but that's another whole discussion for the "Care & Grooming" Forum later.

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really prefer these 'doll-face' style Persians than the extreme feline faces I've seen around. Like the hopelessly sloped-butt German Shepherd that is breed standard, the pitifully short-legged Munchkin cats and the too-long weenie-dog Dachshunds...I think we go too far in developing the genetics of a breed to suit our taste in fashion and novelty and do not take into consideration soundness and health!

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is very beautiful and I too prefer the Doll Faced Persian , they just look more natural and healthy

maliha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am copying what I wrote in answer to your Private Message asking me to look at this kitten so others will be able to see it too.  I just love her color and will be curious to find out if she's a cameo tabby, which will be more obvious as she grows up.  She definitely looks like the "doll face" Persians of yesteryear, like the black neuter I used to have, named Otello.  He had big copper eyes and a face like hers.

I see you got plenty of answers already.  She is VERY beautiful and she looks like the Persians of my day used to be.  There is a movement in breeding circles to preserve that look, called the "Doll Faced" Persians.  The breed now looks nothing like that, they have very flat faces (Peke faced, like Pekingese dogs), no nose, no room for brains in my opinion, and not a breed that could survive on its own ass the coat would mat without constant care, and often the eyes run because the flat face has pinched off the tear ducts.  So in my opinion, you have a Persian cat of the 1960s "Doll Face" style.  Since you have no pedigree papers, it really doesn't matter as you are not going to breed her.

Her color is clearly a warm cream classic tabby.  The Classic Tabby has the wide stripes that form sort of a bulls eye over the sides, whereas the Mackerel Tabby has the skinny stripes that run down from the back rather like the markings of a mackerel fish, thus the name.

Cream is the dilute of red in cat color terminology.  She has rather tangerine colored stripes over a lighter cream body color.  What I don't know for sure is if she also has the "cameo" gene, which makes all the hairs basically white with color only on their tips.  It's not common but not rare either, just a red form of what the silvers have.  If you part her hair down to the kin even where the stripes are, is it completely white at the skin or do the stripes show themselves all the way down to the skin without having white roots?  If she is a cameo, then if she were shaved (don't do it) she would appear to be a white cat until she grew back her hair, but if she is a cream tabby, then the striping pattern would show even if she were shaved.  Don't shave her, but just part the hair and try to see.

If you google "cameo persian photo" you will see pictures of what modern day Persians look like in that color.

Here is a large web site that  INCLUDES the "Doll Face" Persians.  She has a lot of breeds represented and I think you will enjoy spending time visiting it.
http://dollfacepersiankittens.com/going-extinct/
http://dollfacepersiankittens.com/peek/

Your kitten has a less extreme face that these kittens but she would be considered a "pet quality" dollface Persian in my opinion.  As for color, time will tell, but she's definitely the dilute of red, which is Cream, and she has tabby markings, so I would call her a cream tabby dollface Persian if you need something to call her until we find out if she's a CAMEO cream tabby.  It will be fun to watch her grow.  You will need to get a metal comb for her long coat, but that's another whole discussion for the "Care & Grooming" Forum later.
Yes, yes she does have bullseye on her sides! thank you so much for your reply now I know exactly how special she is :D
Shes all white from the inside,so that confirms the cameo part. I parted her hair from several places, even the tail.
She had long hair infront of her ears aswell but my little sister cut em off -_-
Her fur will grow longer right?
Thanks again so much, I really appreciate you took your time out to reply in detail :)

Last edited by a moderator: