What breed is my cat?

catbreath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meet Molly. She's vocal, loves to play fetch, she's very large, and has beautiful calico hair. Upon researching breeds, I would guess that she is either a domestic long hair, or a Norwegian Forrest. She has the personality of the NF, but we adopted her and don't have any of her background information. The pictures don't truly show her size. She can stand up on her hind legs and put her front paws on the dining room table top. Everyone who sees her, comments about her being the largest cat they've ever seen!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eee! She's lovely. Now, first of all, veryvery few cats have been selectively bred into what we call breeds, most cats (95%+) just breed freely with no human intervention, and therefore no breed background. There may be particular types that develop in certain areas, but for a cat to have any kind of pure breed in its background is unlikely, unless you got the cat from a breeder. So just by that it's most likely that she's a domestic longhair. Random breeding can still produce some very interesting results! Plus, Norwegian Forest Cats are extremely rare in the US, so the chances of her having any NFC in her are very unlikely. If she had any breed background, it would be more likely Maine Coon, but since Maine Coons were developed from the big shaggy farm cats of the northeastern states. . .well, we're right back to domestic longhair :D. She's gorgeous in any case :clap:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbreath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Willowy! I would love love love to have a pure bred NFC, they are beautiful! and thanks for the information.