What breed is my baby boy?

caseycoffin07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My tabby cat had this gorgeous boy in July, he’s a little bit different to his momma and his siblings. We call him a Heinz 57 because we can’t decide what colour or breed he is. We believe he may be a Siberian Forest cat or maybe a Norwegian Forest cat? Possibly a Maine Coon but we doubt it. Could anyone help figure out what breed he is? I’ll attach some pictures of him below.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now you are what uour parents are. If they are moggies, so you too are a moggie. But if he is a somewhat look alike to an established breed?? I think it will be easier to see later on. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caseycoffin07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now you are what uour parents are. If they are moggies, so you too are a moggie. But if he is a somewhat look alike to an established breed?? I think it will be easier to see later on. :)
We don’t know who his dad is, his mum looks nothing like him though which is why I’m so confused haha, I’ll share some pictures of her.
There’s Duster (my cat), Jaffa (his sister) and Blast (momma)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma is a pretty classic tabby, and looking on the pic of her as young, may perhaps even have some Ancestry from some breed. Bengal?

Duster is blackish longhair, sis I presume is a copy of momma...

Which gives; momma isnt homozygot for tabby, she has just one tabby gene. sis got one, duster got the non tabby gene.
Momma is a carrier of the longhair gene. And apparently daddy has it too...

Daddy may be longhair, but its not sure, him being a carrier of the longhair gene is more than enough., He probably isnt tabby.
We dont know daddys color; it may be black, but mamma carries black too.
Duster nose and face isnt the same as mom and sis; so we may presume he got his facial structures from daddy...

At this momet, the normal label on Duster is domestic longhair, DLH, black in color.

caseycoffin07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma is a pretty classic tabby, and looking on the pic of her as young, may perhaps even have some Ancestry from some breed. Bengal?

Duster is blackish longhair, sis I presume is a copy of momma...

Which gives; momma isnt homozygot for tabby, she has just one tabby gene. sis got one, duster got the non tabby gene.
Momma is a carrier of the longhair gene. And apparently daddy has it too...

Daddy may be longhair, but its not sure, him being a carrier of the longhair gene is more than enough., He probably isnt tabby.
We dont know daddys color; it may be black, but mamma carries black too.
Duster nose and face isnt the same as mom and sis; so we may presume he got his facial structures from daddy...

At this momet, the normal label on Duster is domestic longhair, DLH, black in color.
Blast’s brother is a black cat so it could be grandad or grandmas genes that just picked one to show the gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Blast’s brother is a black cat so it could be grandad or grandmas genes that just picked one to show the gene.
Tabby is dominant, so it doesnt jump o over a generation or two. If the gene is there, it shows. but the brother being black confirms Blast has the tabby gene in single edition. Not a doubled as a purebred would have... So blast too had only one parent a tabby, and got her tabby gene from just one parent, NOT both. And so we know, even if Blast the momma, MAY have some Ancestry, but she herself must be counted as a moggie.

A longhair gene is recessive, and thus can jump over generations. Duster is longhair (even if I dont see the tail clearly); so Duster got his long hair gene both from momma and from daddy.

caseycoffin07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tabby is dominant, so it doesnt jump o over a generation or two. If the gene is there, it shows. but the brother being black confirms Blast has the tabby gene in single edition. Not a doubled as a purebred would have... So blast too had only one parent a tabby, and got her tabby gene from just one parent, NOT both. And so we know, even if Blast the momma, MAY have some Ancestry, but she herself must be counted as a moggie.

A longhair gene is recessive, and thus can jump over generations. Duster is longhair (even if I dont see the tail clearly); so Duster got his long hair gene both from momma and from daddy.
If needed, I can get some clearer pictures, I don’t believe Blast has long fur, all three (Blast, Bean Boy (her brother) and Biscuit (her sister)) have relatively short fur and there are not many cats around us that have long fur or are black/grey which is partially why I’m so confused