what breed does my cat closest resemble?

solvar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is my cat Meow-Meow, she is one year old this week. She is currently 8.2 lbs and spayed. Her mother was a stray we took in, it turns out she was never spayed, and she ended up being pregnant and one day we found kittens! After that we spayed her but thats how got meow-meow. We have no idea who the father was but all the cats in the litter looked similar in color and marking to her except some of them were more compact instead of being lanky like her. Shes always been a hyper little thing, and shes smart as all get out. She even knows a few tricks, but she wont do them unless you show her the treat before she does the trick, haha. she can jump insanely high like easily over 5 ft from standing in once spot. I know because I'm 5ft 7 in and she wanted to get a fly on the wall which was parallel to my chin and she missed it by 2 inches to the right. She loves to touch everything with her paws, picking up pencils and pens, knocking the cored phone off the hook, digging eyeliner and brushes out of my makeup bag; she just cant get enough of it hah. its the funniest thing she has to be involved in everything people are doing, even cleaning the cat box, haha.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw - how wonderful of you to have taken in Meow-Meow's mother and helped with her unexpected litter AND then get her spayed. :clap::clap::clap: Good for you.

Meow-Meow is a gorgeous black DSH kitty. I love black cat's with their shiny/sleek coats and piercingly beautiful eyes. I think your cat slightly resembles a Siamese with the elongated facial bone structure and large ears. The 4th picture is my favorite of her face. Enjoy your gorgeous kitty. :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I think your cat slightly resembles a Siamese with the elongated facial bone structure and large ears.
I agree with Ferlavr on every point in her post.    

Here I want to add:  As Meow Meow is a not pointed blackie, the resemblance is really to an Oriental.  BUT,   orientals and siameses are a very akin breeds, sometimes even used to interbred.   Also, an siamese bred with a non point, its children are usually not pointed.  And there are  quite a few more siameses than orientals.   So, optically "fenotype" your young lady looks somewhat alike an oriental, but the ancestry is prob  siamese...   Precisely as Feralv thinks she may be, so I thinks so too.  Perhaps a grandparent? 

A memory arises.   I, on one of my first Shows..  In the row nearby there I see several siameses, and a couple of them are extra beautiful.  I go forward to the owner, we chat a little, and I tell him Im usually not so very fond of modern siameses, but his, his is a real beauty.  Im jealous!!!    He smiled somewhat, and asked me if I knew difference between siameses and orientals.   No, not really I said, why?     He pointed at a cage nearby:  this  cat,  with the  masqued face, is a siamese.  My cat, all blackish,  is an oriental.   They are two different breeds.

But dont you worry, they are very near akins, and we sometimes cooperate in our breeding programmes, he continued  kindly....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solvar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate the kind replies. I looked up the cat you guys were referring to and it looks exactly like her mom, its kind of crazy!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate the kind replies. I looked up the cat you guys were referring to and it looks exactly like her mom, its kind of crazy!
Do you have a good photo of her mom?   And possibly good photos of the littemates?

Its rare fertile breeding pedigree queens got loose, but it is not unheard of.    When they travel to the Shows, or from the matings, things may happen.  I myself know of several examples, just in the little world of swedish and norvegian Russian Blue...

solvar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me see what I can find! I'll go take a picture of her mom super quick. All her siblings had homes lined up by the time they were old enough to leave their mama, so I don't have many pictures, but I think I might have a few good ones running around. :)

solvar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, So I found a few pictures on a combination of my phone and my compter, and these are a few of the better ones. I hope this is helpful!

This is Midnight her brother, My friend sent me this pic a few months ago.

This is her sister Paisley, from when they were a few weeks old.

This is her mom Alice (she's not very happy about being woke up for pictures, haha)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

This is her mom Alice (she's not very happy about being woke up for pictures, haha)
Oh my ! Her mom Alice I would say is a black Oriental for sure ! No mistaking that face shape and big ears :nod:

This would mean your kitten is half Oriental ;)

solvar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow thats crazy, what are the chances hah. Well thats nice to know at least, it might be a useful to know later. :) You know funny enough my sister (she lives pretty close to me) had a cat just walk in her house and she decide she liked it there ahah. my sister tried to find her owner with no luck. she was already spayed (thankfully), but she had no microchip or id tags so she never got back to her owner. but she seems happy living with my sister, stuff like that always makes me think about what might have happened to the poor thing if she never found a home, or my sweet little babies Alice and Meow-meow. D:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh wow thats crazy, what are the chances hah. Well thats nice to know at least, it might be a useful to know later. :) You know funny enough my sister (she lives pretty close to me) had a cat just walk in her house and she decide she liked it there ahah. my sister tried to find her owner with no luck. she was already spayed (thankfully), but she had no microchip or id tags so she never got back to her owner. but she seems happy living with my sister, stuff like that always makes me think about what might have happened to the poor thing if she never found a home, or my sweet little babies Alice and Meow-meow. D:
Yeah, what are the chances eh ? The Oriental breed of cat is not that common - so how you found a stray one, is really surprising ! :shocker: Lucky you ! :clap:

When I saw saw the pic of Alice, I thought - If she is not an Oriental then she is the best look a like I've ever seen :D