What breed do you think my cat is?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unusual coloring!

I think she might be a dilute Tortoiseshell with white?  Or dilute Calico?  She's mostly gray but I do see muted tortie type shading.  

Tortoiseshell is the coat coloring.  I'd classify her as a short hair domestic.  

How old is she?  I keep saying she because most torties are female.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying, please allow me to share her story. This cat was thrown out as garbage, I was leaving for work and this little gal jumped in front of my car in my driveway, scared and tramatized. I was afraid of being late for work and I shooed her away. When I got home and drove my car into my garage, this little gal bolted into the garage. So I took her out to our newly built closed in building, I sheltered her there, I went and bought a litter box and cat food, she was litter trained so I know she was a house cat. I decided to take pictures and I put posts on the media for our area for a possible lost cat, had no replys. Two days later she had a kitten, it died because she didn't care for it. So Monday at work I called my vet that I had gone to for the 12 years I had my dog. I filled them in on what was going on, so I took her that wednesday, my vet said he felt she had more kittens in her and most likely were dead. So I agreed on the c-section and had her fixed. He delivered 4 kittens that were pre term, and two died within the first 24 hours. We brought home Miss Kitty and two kittens a male and a female, the vet said she didn't want anything to do with the kittens, so my daughter feed and cared for the kittens, whom the vet said had a very small chance for survival. Sadly the male died but the female is alive and well and is a a spittin image of her mother. So over $1,000 dollars later, I am the owner of Miss Kitty, whom is very much loved and spoiled. This is my first cat, I felt that she was sent for a reason, since we had to put my baby down a year earlier. I just don't know much about cats and behaviors and would like to learn as much as I can.

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is a diluted tortie, making her colors into blue and creme.  I dont think she carry any white, what looks as white on some pics, are these fair creme spots.

She looks almost alike a russian blue.  If she has some Ancestry, I dont dare to tell.  Blue domestics arent that unusual, some even with greenish eyes.

Im grateful to you for saving this girl, and helping these kittens whom were alive.

She got them surely premature, that is why they died and in the beginning she wasnt much interested in nursing them.

You and your vet did what you could, but this story adds to my favorite advice:  cats usually manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans, but much worse a too short pregnancy.  Thus, when in any doubt, wait with the cesarean. Unlike with humans.

A too early cesarean is very often a death sentence on the kittens.  The risk calculus weight heavily for waiting.... Its only if mothers life is apparently in immediate danger if not, the calculus weights into the cesarean.

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said she is about 2yrs old.

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said that when a cat is in stress, it is not uncommon for them to abort. I live in a rural area, and my neighbor had some ferrel cats that I feel were after her, and trust me they are some big dang cats. When I took her to the vet she was laboring, and she showed no progress from Saturday to Wednesday. That's why we went ahead with the c-section. This is all new to me, but I did what I felt was best for her.

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said that when a cat is in stress, it is not uncommon for them to abort. I live in a rural area, and my neighbor had some ferrel cats that I feel were after her, and trust me they are some big dang cats. When I took her to the vet she was laboring, and she showed no progress from Saturday to Wednesday. That's why we went ahead with the c-section. This is all new to me, but I did what I felt was best for her.
with her coloring, in the light she looks as if she has highlights of white, she has the blues and the creme for sure. I have never seen a cat with her coloring, my oldest daughter has a toortie that has the autum coloring. Miss Kitty has what looks to be like 3 stripes on her tail, toward the tip.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, Im sure me too.  This extra explanation was helpful too.   Im deeply grateful to you.

Forgive me if my comment was possible to interpret as some sort of accusation or critique.  I didnt meant so, wanted just to spread that little knowledge I do have.

And you confirm this, even if the situation was maximally unfortunate and very complicated.

Blue cats are extra warm to my heart.  My two Russian Blue boys were always inside only cats. So they dont have any "illegitimate" children.

But one uncle of them, was spayed in senior age when his owner died. And he was allowed to go out.  So I KNOW there are a lot of cousins to my boys out there, and some of them surely homeless...

And yes, this was one of the motives why I began to help homeless cats....  I felt it was a very indirect, but yet true way of helping these unknown cousins.

Last edited:

bilnjon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate any and all advice and knowledge I can get, and I take no offense to your reply. I just wanted to be as detailed as I can on her situation, she is a very sweet cat. I have always had big dog,so being a cat owner is all new to me. When I took her to my vet, I said to him I am not over Klaras death yet, I am not ready for another pet.. He looked me in the eye and said. This scared little girl choose you for a reason, she is here now and you are being the responsible pet owner and getting her the care that she is in need of just like you have always done with Klara. I know that she will bring you joy and you will love her as much as you loved Klara, and she will help heal your broken heart. He was right.