What Are We!?!

titanblazejagg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Titan. #1 is 6 weeks old, #2 is 4 months old and #3 is 1 year old

This is Blaze, #1 is 5 weeks old, #2 and #3 are 6 months old

This is Jagg all are at 4 months

Our vet simply put down "Domestic Short Hair" for all three of them since we don't know what they actually are, though I'm fairly sure they aren't purebreds since the only one who even remotely looks like a purebred to me is Jagg but I'm pretty sure he isn't. What do they look like? Titan and Blaze do look like your typical Domestics except Titan is HUGE, he weighed 9 lbs at 5mo and he now weighs 15lbs but there is not an ounce of fat on him and our vet has declared him perfectly healthy, just extremely large in size. Part Maine Coon perhaps? And Jagg has the body type similar to a Siamese but the coloration isn't one I think I've ever seen. 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful tabbies. Which is their coat patterns and not a breed. Their breed is DSH.  Jag certainly does have a unique look to his face, slanted eyes and long ears! So perhaps has a mix somewhere down his line of something. Blaze is a typical DSH orange tabby and could be my Boot's twin! Titan's tabby pattern appears to be of the spotted variety.

A tabby is any domestic cat that has a coat featuring distinctive stripes, dots, lines or swirling patterns, usually together with a mark resembling an M on its forehead. Tabbies are sometimes erroneously assumed to be a cat breed, but it is a coat pattern.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

titanblazejagg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

They are beautiful tabbies. Which is their coat patterns and not a breed. Their breed is DSH.  Jag certainly does have a unique look to his face, slanted eyes and long ears! So perhaps has a mix somewhere down his line of something. Blaze is a typical DSH orange tabby and could be my Boot's twin! Titan's tabby pattern appears to be of the spotted variety.

A tabby is any domestic cat that has a coat featuring distinctive stripes, dots, lines or swirling patterns, usually together with a mark resembling an M on its forehead. Tabbies are sometimes erroneously assumed to be a cat breed, but it is a coat pattern.
Yeah, we knew they were Tabby's but Titans size and Jaggs body shape puzzled us so we weren't sure if they had something mixed in there or not haha

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As all three are tabbies, I wonder if they happen to be related to each other?

Or they are from 3 completely different litters?

This pic with baby and the cat is especielly nice!  Both of them are happy with the situation!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool pictures!  They are some pretty cats and  I love that picture of Titan with the baby.

The color/ patterns:   

Titan:  Brown Mackerel Tabby    

Blaze: Red Mackerel Tabby and White

Jagg:  Brown Ticked Tabby and White

All would be correctly classified as "Domestic Shorthair" which just means no particular breed   or unknown ancestry.   None of them look like "purebreds"  though it's true that right now Jagg has a body type that looks similar to some cats from Asia.   Kittens can go through a lot of shape morphing as they grow up,  they can go throug a lanky stage when young,  and.sometimes for a while they seem to have huge ears  but then grow into them.  So it's hard  to say, it's more significant if he keeps those things as an adult  , then the long body and big ears might point to some  ancestry such as Siamese  / Oriental.  

It can be hard to tell if a cat has any ancestry of a particular breed.     The whole issue of cats and breeds is complicated and confusing.  Most cats are not a breed or mixed breed like dogs.  Dogs have been selectively bred much more than cats so it's normal for dogs to be a breed or have a lot of ancestors of specific breeds.  But most cats have just bred randomly on their own with other cats from the same area....  more like a wild species.   (but not exactly  like that either,  because there has been  selective breeding of a very small percentage of cats,  and some of those cats have  mated with the general cat population.   Plus cats are domesticated so they have moved with humans to different places ,  and that way there is more spread of cats from a different region than there would usually be with a wild species.   

There's less mating between pedigreed cats of specific breeds and the regular "moggies" than there was in the past when fewer people got their cats spayed/ neutered.  These days most pedigreed cats are altered as kittens.   But it still does happen some.  and also some traits from them may be passed down over many generations.  

Re size: 

Domestics come in all sorts of sizes,  it does not necessarily mean they are partly any specific breed .   Again,  just think of wild animals.  There are some raccoons who are twice the size of others,  but  it doesn't mean the big raccoon is a "breed".   My aunt had a few HUGE Domestic Longhair cats back several decades ago.    These days,  with all the info on cat breeds on the internet and cable TV , I bet  people would probably be saying those cats must be part Maine Coon.   But this was a remote rural location nowhere near Maine,  I truly don't think there were Maine Coons running around breeding with the farm cats in the county.    but that particular family of cats must have had some genes for big size!     After all, Maine Coons originally started from random bred cats and  some of those got quite big.     and the same thing can happen with random bred cats elsewhere.  

The most important part is Titan, Blaze and Jagg look like friendly cats who are loved and happy.    

titanblazejagg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

As all three are tabbies, I wonder if they happen to be related to each other?

Or they are from 3 completely different litters?

This pic with baby and the cat is especielly nice!  Both of them are happy with the situation!
Completely different litters. We got Titan over a year ago when we found him as a tiny little furball abandoned by his mother and litter mates (surprisingly, he was the runt and his mother wouldn't take him back.) and he was only 4 weeks old according to our vet. Blaze came along almost a year later when my friend found him on her porch as a 5 week old with his sister, they had been dropped on the side of the road. Jagg we adopted from a shelter his owner couldn't keep them and brought him in. 

And yes, Titan adores our son, that photo is one of my favorites from when our son was still real little :)

titanblazejagg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Cool pictures!  They are some pretty cats and  I love that picture of Titan with the baby.

The color/ patterns:   

Titan:  Brown Mackerel Tabby    

Blaze: Red Mackerel Tabby and White

Jagg:  Brown Ticked Tabby and White

All would be correctly classified as "Domestic Shorthair" which just means no particular breed   or unknown ancestry.   None of them look like "purebreds"  though it's true that right now Jagg has a body type that looks similar to some cats from Asia.   Kittens can go through a lot of shape morphing as they grow up,  they can go throug a lanky stage when young,  and.sometimes for a while they seem to have huge ears  but then grow into them.  So it's hard  to say, it's more significant if he keeps those things as an adult  , then the long body and big ears might point to some  ancestry such as Siamese  / Oriental.  

It can be hard to tell if a cat has any ancestry of a particular breed.     The whole issue of cats and breeds is complicated and confusing.  Most cats are not a breed or mixed breed like dogs.  Dogs have been selectively bred much more than cats so it's normal for dogs to be a breed or have a lot of ancestors of specific breeds.  But most cats have just bred randomly on their own with other cats from the same area....  more like a wild species.   (but not exactly  like that either,  because there has been  selective breeding of a very small percentage of cats,  and some of those cats have  mated with the general cat population.   Plus cats are domesticated so they have moved with humans to different places ,  and that way there is more spread of cats from a different region than there would usually be with a wild species.   

There's less mating between pedigreed cats of specific breeds and the regular "moggies" than there was in the past when fewer people got their cats spayed/ neutered.  These days most pedigreed cats are altered as kittens.   But it still does happen some.  and also some traits from them may be passed down over many generations.  

Re size: 

Domestics come in all sorts of sizes,  it does not necessarily mean they are partly any specific breed .   Again,  just think of wild animals.  There are some raccoons who are twice the size of others,  but  it doesn't mean the big raccoon is a "breed".   My aunt had a few HUGE Domestic Longhair cats back several decades ago.    These days,  with all the info on cat breeds on the internet and cable TV , I bet  people would probably be saying those cats must be part Maine Coon.   But this was a remote rural location nowhere near Maine,  I truly don't think there were Maine Coons running around breeding with the farm cats in the county.    but that particular family of cats must have had some genes for big size!     After all, Maine Coons originally started from random bred cats and  some of those got quite big.     and the same thing can happen with random bred cats elsewhere.  

The most important part is Titan, Blaze and Jagg look like friendly cats who are loved and happy.    
Thank you! That was very informative!!! And yes, they are our babies and are all so sweet!