What Ancestry/breed/coloring Etc. Is My Cat?

Omni

Probably a throwaway, won't use often.
Kitten
Purraise
This is Riley.
WP_20170921_17_50_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20170925_01_39_51_Pro.jpg

He's pretty old, around 6-7 years, and he's more grey and black than the pictures let on. I took them with my phone. He definitely has some orangish-brown coloring, but I'd like him identified as closely as possible, to sate my own curiosity.

He's short haired, very soft, has white tuft under his chin, very big, pretty energetic, outside cat. Brings back freaking possums, one time he brought me a raccoon. Jeez.

He doesn't lick often, but likes licking my hair, if that counts for anything. Very friendly, although he doesn't like being picked up by anyone he doesn't know (I.e my niece and I)

Any ideas? Please get back to me soon.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree completely with StefanZ! A beautiful brown mackerel tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Omni

Kitten
Purraise
Domestic shorthair, DSH, brown mackerel tabby. (with white).

The salt of the earth, as the Good Book says poetically. :)
Thank you very much!

This is, admittedly, kind of off topic, but I really like these kinds of cats, as well as Tolkinese(The Siamese type breed?) cats. Are there any cats bred with these two ancestors, or at least something as close as possible? Thinking of picking up a new cat in a few months, and I'd like something with characteristics similar to those two breeds. Any suggestions?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Tonkinese and Siamese are both pointed breeds, and Tobkinese were originally bred as a Siamese x Burmese cross. If you're planning on going to a shelter when you get your new cat, there are sometimes pointed "Siamese mix" cats there. :)

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sisters foster cat looks like a flame point tokinese or Siamese mix. Not hard to find one in a shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Omni

Kitten
Purraise
No, no, I mean one that has similar ancestry between Tokinese and Mackarel. Or is that not possible and I'm just stupid? Could be the latter, I'm not a huge animal person, knowledge wise.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabby is not a breed, just a pattern. Mackerel is a type of tabby. Most breeds can be tabby, and many domestic cats (no breed) are tabby. It's probably the most common cat pattern.

Tonkinese is a breed. If you want a purebred cat, you need to contact a breeder.

You can probably find a cat with a tabby point pattern at a shelter.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
No, no, I mean one that has similar ancestry between Tokinese and Mackarel. Or is that not possible and I'm just stupid? Could be the latter, I'm not a huge animal person, knowledge wise.
Like what Willowy said, mackeral tabby is a color pattern, not a breed in itself. There are tabby points (as we call them, "lynx points"), and you can probably find one in a shelter. TCS member mama africa mama africa has an absolutely beautiful seal lynx point named Missy, who was a rescue. :lovecat2:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like what Willowy said, mackeral tabby is a color pattern, not a breed in itself. There are tabby points (as we call them, "lynx points"), and you can probably find one in a shelter. TCS member mama africa mama africa has an absolutely beautiful seal lynx point named Missy, who was a rescue. :lovecat2:
Thank you abyeb abyeb for calling Missy 'an absolutely beautiful seal lynx point'
Some pictures to prove it...

Missyspinner1.jpg Missyornamental.jpg