Went to an "oldies" concert last night.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had a great time! My sister and BIL said that they were going to a concert, did we want to go along? Sure!

We saw Gary Lewis and the Playboys, the Grass Roots, and Jay and the Americans. And they were all fabulous. Gary Lewis was around just a wee bit before I was starting to listen to music (I turned 10 in 1965). But I remember his songs from hearing them on the radio (back when I listened to radio) and from do-wop concerts on PBS. I was a Grass Roots fan forever, it seems. Rick went to a concert years and years ago; Mom wouldn't let me go (I was 14). He managed to get all their autographs on the concert ticket for me. Then a few years later, the GR came to Bucknell University and I got to see them. I was never a big fan of Jay and the Americans, but man, an excellent show. It turns out that I did remember some of the songs. There were still two of the original band members and they could still sing. "Jay" (Jay Reincke, the third Jay) can belt out a song.

It was simply excellent. I came home, immediately hit Amazon, and bought a CD of the Grass Roots' greatest hits (done by the original Grass Roots).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was never a big fan of Jay and the Americans, but man, an excellent show. It turns out that I did remember some of the songs. There were still two of the original band members and they could still sing. "Jay" (Jay Reincke, the third Jay) can belt out a song.
I really liked Jay & the Americans. Nobody could sing Cara Mia like Jay Black.:hearthrob: He had an amazing falsetto voice. Now I have his song stuck in my head.😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I really liked Jay & the Americans. Nobody could sing Cara Mia like Jay Black.:hearthrob: He had an amazing falsetto voice. Now I have his song stuck in my head.😊
neely neely If you'd shut your eyes and lean back, you would swear that Jay Reincke was Jay Black. Even Rick was impressed. There were people there who were disappointed that Jay Black was no longer with them, even though he had left the band years before he passed. But this guy was really that good. He got the high notes perfectly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve always heard our state fair’s oldies night is a great concert. I looked it up for this year…its a 90’s Night. :oops: First American Girl makes a 90s “Historical” doll. Now this?!:oops: Some of my friends are so excited. I wasn’t ready for that either!:rolleyes2::lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
90s night? That's not old!

A few years ago, our son was visiting and he and I went down to the supermarket. They were playing music and played one of his favorite songs. He hung his head and said, "Aw man, it's official. I'm old!" :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty sure I've heard hits from high school in the grocer store myself. :lol: I refuse to identify as old just because I'm now over 40. I mean some friends are still having babies! But then I see these people who look like babies to me sharing pregnancy announcements too. Maybe I'm just feeling like a real grown up.

But I still don't think the 90s music should qualify for the oldies night! :lol:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ A few years ago I talked with someone who went to a Johnny Rivers concert here in Los Angeles ( Beverly Hills ) . Told me it was great and that Johnny looked and sounded good.
Some age well ... ✨️🎶

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty sure I've heard hits from high school in the grocer store myself. :lol: I refuse to identify as old just because I'm now over 40. I mean some friends are still having babies! But then I see these people who look like babies to me sharing pregnancy announcements too. Maybe I'm just feeling like a real grown up.

But I still don't think the 90s music should qualify for the oldies night! :lol:
It's worse when you hear music you grew up with as muzak in an elevator. :lol:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
🎶 ~ Once I was in a market that had the Dave Clark 5 playing. Young guy was really enjoying the music and said : " I love this band !" He did not know who it was, so I told him the name . I did not want to spoil his day and never told him that band is mostly deceased. :clover:"