Welcomed Penelopy to the household today

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear she's fitting in so well. She really is a doll and looks very happy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She is doing really great. Have had her a week today, and so we celebrated by taking her for the free wellness visit at the vet by the shelter and got the rest of her vax! Getting her out of the carrier is seriously difficult, even when tipped over 90 degrees. Of course, when we got home, it warmed my heart that she came right out, knowing she was home. We played with the fishbone on a string, along with Oscar and Oliver. 

Now just need to get her spay appt set up and then done with, and we'll be all set.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
This is a true story that just happened this past night (in the middle of the night actually).

As is usual, at one point in the middle of the night, Oliver came up by me and Oscar followed him, then started suckling Oliver's armpit. Penelopy, who was also on the bed, decided to come up and see what was going on. She started getting a weird purr going just like Oscar does (he only gets this particular purr when suckling) and then she started grooming these guys! First Oscar, then Oliver, then back to Oscar. All the while, Oscar was still suckling.

So... weird! I didn't quite know what to make of it. I felt almost like a "fourth wheel", wondered if I should excuse myself from the room, lol. Although I'm wondering if the suckling sounds brought out her maternal instincts? She had a litter of six kittens back in July, so I suppose it's possible.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds very sweet. Penelopy sounds like she has completely settled in and is a happy girl. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
A little over two weeks in, and Penelopy is definitely fitting right in. She and the kittens just love to chase each other through the house with wild abandon. Then stop at one point to sit on the table and look around all innocently before going at it again.  I'm shocked we haven't had anything break yet 
 I think after so many years we've just learned. It's like being on a highway with a bunch of cars or motorcycles zooming past you. Just stay put. That's how it is when they are in tornado mode. Stay out of their way and everything will be good, lol.

Last night, I discovered Penelopy has another interesting thing about her. She likes to lick hair. Now I have had cats that loved licking hair before, but she's different. First, she holds my head down with her paw, then, takes a big ol' bite of my hair to get it into a position she likes I guess? And then licks it, grabbing it with her teeth every now and then to "fluff it up", paw still firmly on head, lol. 

Silly kitty, lol. She's seriously a little love bug.