Weird Thing On Kitten's Upper Lip (image Attached)

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten's upper lip has something growing under the fur -- looks brown, and area increasing with time. And there's something oozing out sometimes -- like the brown strands come out and protrude from below and through the white fur. From afar it looks like she's getting a mustache.

Could it be feline acne? She's an aggressive eater (scarfs food up in 4-5 gulps) so maybe she keeps hitting the food bowl? Should I see the vet about it?

71fc0d1bffcfea1c0f080a2062c85be8.png

She was totally white before so it's definitely something new

e6d8de0720b18d0c5e735e9072067f7a.jpg

OOtiedoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am assuming you have tried to wipe her face clean, and they do not go way. Could be onset of feline acne I’ve see this before, are you able to pull them out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've avoided messing with it because if it is acne, it's generally advised not to "pop" blackheads (at least in humans). I would feel uncomfortable pulling things out... what if it hurts her? or gets bacteria in it, etc?

And yes it does not come off with gentle wet cloth rub :(

OOtiedoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Smart, pooping is not good. Might be the oils from the food if it wipes off easily, I swear I’ve seen the same thing in my kitties years ago. Keep us updated! I have learned so much from this forum. ❤

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I would take her to the vet, especially if it's oozing.

Good luck and don't forget to give us a follow-up note.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouisArthurWain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for answering silkenpaw!

I took her to the vet and the vet said she was totally fine and it's probably just food marks because she's a voracious eater. I asked them about the bloated bellies that she always gets and they didn't see anything wrong with it (she took the extra step to take an ultrasound on top of the physical exam).

Despite the vet saying she was totally fine, I'm still mildly worried every time I feed her because her belly really does blow up.

For example, do you guys think this looks normal?

It literally sticks out... I avoid touching her belly but I notice if my hands are nearby her legs start moving to protect her belly. The little triangle sticking up isn't just fur... it's belly poking up or whatever else is there.

I would love to not worry about anything when it comes to my kittens, but I did just lose one to FIP and I can't help but feel concerned. Again her appetite is voracious and even though she doesn't play as much as others, she's still playful. She's negative for parasites/all that poop analysis related stuff.

I feed her 1/2 can of Blue Wilderness 3 times a day ish. Sometimes more if she asks, and she will top herself off with dry food (but she usually prefers to wait for mealtimes).

Compared to the others she does not eat significantly more but she's the only one who balloons up. I watch them eat and make sure she doesn't steal others' foods.

Any advice is appreciated...

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally understand how you would be worried about your kitties after having one die from something as horrible as FIP. How old was that cat? Sending you comforting hugs.

Kittens do get big bellies after they eat. It may be just more pronounced in this one. How old is she?