Weight control on raw?

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very long story but I'm looking to possibly switch my cat to raw after just recently finding freeze dried raw diet that my cat actually likes. my cat weighed in at seventeen and a half pounds at his last vet appointment. he throws up randomly which you can read about in a different post of mine. anyways my main question is if i switch him to raw will he still loose weight? And he is now on portioned diets so we know exactly how much he eats so how much do i feed him on raw? He gets a half a cup a day of dry kibble. currently prescription weight loss diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a second question. My cat is not interested in raw except for a very few cases, but of pre-packaged raw diets, he could care less. I have given him raw chicken... and he walked away, I've given him sardines in the tin and he walked away. I've had samples before and he walked away but then I got a sample of freeze dried which he liked. He also ate a little bit of ground turkey for humans as a treat. So I'm not trying to figure out how I can build on that to get him to eat more raw. I've tried mixing the freeze dried with the raw samples but he won't eat it. It doesn't smell at all, which I think he may be looking for. I put smelly fish flakes on top of the raw/freeze dried mix and he ate the flakes and walked away.

Any idea of how to get a cat to eat raw when they just refuse?

I've tried mixing with wet food and that is not an option. He won't eat it and keeps gaining weight on wet so he is on a strict diet to loose weight.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a fatty that I switched from kibble to canned and finally from canned to all raw. He lost from 18.9 pounds down to around 14 after about 10 months. A great success!

Felix was very resistant to all the changes. I made the switch from canned to raw by simply adding a pea sized lump of raw to start. Once he began eating that, I gradually increased the ratio of raw vs canned until he was 100% raw.

I don't use plain meat, but use this: http://www.felineinstincts.com/order...derNow-idx.php . Felix would never eat just plain meat, but he will eat this stuff! All of my cats love it.

Good luck.

Cally